iMac G4 VS. PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Josh, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hi guys/girls,

I have another thread, but I didnt want to focus it at the iBook and iBook users, and my mind has changed completely.

I am currently contemplating on a 15" iMac 1ghz and a 1.25 ghz PowerMac g4 w/ superdrive.

The display isnt really a concern - I was just tempted to the iMac because it was only $100 more than an iBook I wanted (which I only wanted because I wanted a mac, and it was cheapest).

I also used to have a mirror door dual 1.25 G4, but I sold it because it was waaay too loud. I couldnt even fall asleep with it goin lol

Again, my uses are:

• Office/Appleworks
      Photoshop
      iTunes
      iPhoto
      iMovie/iDVD

If I get an iMac I would be forced to get a 17" model - not because I want the screen, 15" is fine for me - but I want a superdrive.

What should I do?

(mods - sorry for similar topics, the other can be deleted if you'd like)

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

refurb eMac with CD/no-modem ($550 at refurb apple store), swap out the CD drive with a SuperDrive! (you just buy the same model as apple's SD and it will work with iApps.)

-> absolutely the cheapest SD equipped Mac!

Here's a link.

Contains more mods than just SD...

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

I'd never ever by an emac. Ive heard nothing good about the screens (and have personaly seen nothing good from them either - flickering, distortion, blur, patchy color, just to name a few...)

Thanks, but no thanks lol :D

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If noise bothers you, then the iMac is an excellent bet for you. You might be able to find some good deals in a few weeks, especially if the rumors of G5 iMacs pan out.

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the powermac G4 would be better bc it is more upgradeable, the eMac is a really solid machine though and as another user posted you can get one very cheaply and swap out the CD for a superdrive i find the display is quite nice

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Get yourself a refurb 15" iMac. Buy a Pioneer drive from someplace like www.newegg.com along with more RAM. Keep the combo drive as an external or backup if you want, or sell it on eBay. Get the VGA and TV-out cables if they don't come with them. Download the hack to enable multiple monitors so you can also use your 19" CRT as a backup. And use the savings to buy AppleCare from someplace cheap like MacSolutions. Save the Edu discount if you want a Laptop later on.

Edit: knew I forgot something. iMacs and iBooks come with AppleWorks, PowerMacs don't.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

cool idea...

fyi on edu. discount... it runs from jul 1 to jun 30, i believe... so if you purchase one now under edu. discount, you can buy another in july.