Imac G4 wont update from 10.3.2 to 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aeronautical, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Aeronautical macrumors member

Hello all. I have a friend who is trying to update his G4 iMac (800mhz) to 10.3.9. When he tried it through software update he managed to download it but then it was unable to complete the installation process and after restarting his mac wouldn't start up (just a grey screen with the the kind of constant ticking circle on it).

He couldn't get back into his system to retrieve his files so I got his stuff off his hard drive using firewire target mode and then wiped the drive and installed panther fresh (10.3.2 from retail discs). That went all ok, but when I then tried to update him to 10.3.9 (using a disk I'd made by downloading the install package myself from apple) it still won't complete the installation (hangs at around 84% then a message says it's failed and to try again).

Has anyone got any ideas on why this upgrade won't work? I wondered if it might be a problem specific to this model of imac. I tried searching the forums already but it's really hard these day to get the relevant threads back, it gave me a list of 400 threads to trawl!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some machines had trouble going straight to 10.3.9 if they were running anything pre-10.3.5 (or maybe 10.3.4, I forget). Have you tried updating to 10.3.8 and then on to 10.3.9? :)

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

4. Aeronautical thread starter macrumors member

I have tried the manual installer on his machine with no success as well as my friend downloading the update himself from software update application.

I think perhaps updating in increments (if it's possible to download 10.3.3-.4-.5 and so on up to 10.3.9 rather than the combo update) is a good idea and might be the way to go.

5. iBenzin macrumors member

What exact error does it give you?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew