iMac G5 1.6 Ghz Superdrive Options

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ellisongs, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ellisongs macrumors member

I want to buy an iMac G5 1.6 Ghz and add a superdrive. Where do I buy the superdrive? I did a forum search and came up empty.

2. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I strongly suggest that you just buy the 1.8 with the superdrive. It will end up costing about the same.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

You can't do it on the 1.6 unless you go with a third party drive, and that would cost you more then just getting the 1.8 with the SD. Go for the 1.8.

4. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

I can save a good amount of money if I buy a reconditioned one for $1099. I should guess a superdrive could be bought for less than $100.00.

5. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Not a slim enough slot-loading drive. I've only seen them for nearly $200.

Also, you can buy a refurbished 1.8, can't you?

6. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

Not really. If this fits I could save a lot. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA32760 and get dual layer capability also.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, if you don't have the latest version of Toast then get the LaCie 16x external drive and it has DL and Toast Ti. so you should be happy :D

8. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

From what I have read so far this might work and give me dual layer which would bring the total cost to $1118

9. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

Will it work with iDvd?

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes with iDVD as long as it's the iLife '05 and they should be sending a recon. (iMac that is) with it but call to make sure since they have done this with some in the last week.

11. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Refurbished iMac from apple.com:

iMac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ 56K/ 17-inch - Apple Certified

Price
    $1,299.00

Ships:
    3-5 business days
    Free Shipping

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I find an external drive very good since if say something went wrong you are not out a drive that your Mac needs to function i.e. you burn or read cds alot. Less wear and tear and faster speeds :p

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Nice, they were out as of Thursday when I last looked----Come on Taxes!!

14. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

This looks good. http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/products/?id=10008 The 16X DOUBLE LAYER DVD-/+RW FIREWIRE, Designed by FA Porsche (RECON) come with Toast 6 Titanium for $109. I already purchased iLife '05 but only have a G3 ibook so I need a new computer for iDVD. This will allow me to abandon my Dell pc finally.

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That's a nice deal you should snag it since they have it :eek:

16. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

I can't find anywhere on the Apple site that says you can use and external drive for iDVD. Has anyone with a combodrive in their computer been able to get iDVD to work using an external drive?

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

On the Apple web site under iBook discussions about 4-5 people have done this and so far it has worked. I thought one of the latest threads here had the same report but I don't remember which one it was. :rolleyes:

18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Mac World January 27, 2005

Burn Ban Lifted

To me, one of the most important changes in iDVD is its newfound ability to write to multiple DVD media: DVD-R and DVD+R, as well as rewriteable DVD-RW and DVD+RW formats. Newer Macs with SuperDrives can also write to DVD±R and DVD±RW, too.

iDVD 5 does a much better job of displaying the burn progress. Instead of a series of progress bars, the new Burn dialog includes the list of steps at the left side of the dialog, as well as a thumbnail of the encoding progress, so you can see where you are in the process. This is a big step up from the interminable Asset Encoding step in iDVD 4 (, May 2004) which gave no indication of how far along the encoding was, or even if iDVD had hung.

What could be better than burning to multiple DVD formats? How about not requiring a SuperDrive at all? iDVD 5 now lets you save the encoded project to a disk image, which you can use to burn a disc on a third-party external DVD burner.

And in the small-but-helpful-improvement department, you only need to click the Burn button once to get the process started. Apparently the two-click, unspoken “Do you really want to do this?” approach of earlier versions was too subtle.

Hope this helps with your question :)

19. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the info.

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

21. TIGERmac macrumors member

Refurbished

Guys,

Don't expect refurbished systems to ship with iLife '05.

These machines ship with whatever software was included with the machine when it was shipped new. Therefore, unless the refurbished model you get is a very recent return you will get iLife '04.

When I was considering a refurb. model, I asked the Apple sales rep if refurbished models qualified for the iLife up-to-date program. The answer was no.

Just thought I'd pass along the info...

22. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hence my earlier statement:
    My girlfriend called about a recon. iBook and the answer was yes but only on some models (earlier units were not ). ;)

23. ellisongs thread starter macrumors member

Good news!
    I sold my g3 ibook and purchased a stock base Mac Mini and the above drive. After downloading the latest driver, the Mini sees the drive as a vendor supported native type drive and iDvd can write directly to it as well as everything else. I dont have to go the disc image route and it all looks great on the new Dell 2005FPW screen.

The new ibook or powerbook will come later when I can save up enough for it.

Now if that 1 Gig memory would hurry up and get here. :)