iMac G5 1.6GHz vs. 1.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LaMerVipere, Sep 1, 2004.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I'm selling my iBook to get an iMac G5, and I was wondering if the speed difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 G5's going to be that big?

I'm kind of a broke college student so I'd much rather get the 1.6, plus a single 512MB ram chip and BT plus wireless keyboard and mouse and such

if i got the 1.8 i wouldn't be able to get those other things, it would be the stock config

is the 1.8's added speed outweigh those other perks i'd get if i ordered the 1.6? :confused:
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Go ahead and get the midrange 1.8 Ghz machine. The SuperDrive alone is normally a $200 BTO option. If you can afford it, I'd definitely go mid-range.
  3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    You are comparing a single 1.6 to a single 1.8 right? Because a DUAL 1.8 blows away a SINGLE 1.6.

And FYI, you can't put single RAM chips in a G5, they have to be in pairs.

Oh ya and RAM is very important for mac's so I personally would prefer a single 1.6 with 1 Gig of RAM more than a single 1.8 with 512Mb of RAM, but, then again you can upgrade the RAM later when you have more money. Tough decision but have fun with it. :)
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    That is only true for the PowerMac G5 -- it's dual-channel DDR.

The iMac G5 is single-channel DDR -- so you can put in a single DIMM, and there are only 2 DIMM slots anyway.
  5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    ChrisFromCanada, he is talking about buying an iMac, not a PowerMac.

I was actually just thinking about this same problem. I'm not sure about getting an iMac G5, but I was thinking which config I would get if I were to buy one. I'm finding it very easy to justify moving from one price point to another, which I think is proof that Apple has priced the iMacs really well. While I'm sure everyone would like the base price to be lower, you have to admit that the steps between the models make a lot of financial sense.

Anyways, for $200 you get a Superdrive and an extra 200MHz. I think that is probably your best bet, as you can't change these things later. Well actually, you might be able to change the CD drive, but it would be difficult and expensive since it is slot loading. However, you are going to want to have a minimum of 512MB of RAM in the computer regardless of your configuration. You are going to have to decide just how important it is to you to have bluetooth bult-in with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Personally, I decided that since all the ports are in the back I wouldn't mind using an external USB Bluetooth adapter if I decided I really need to have Bluetooth components in the future.
  6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    i'd go for the 1.8 GHz you get the superdrive and the slightly extra speed for 200 bucks
    if the superdrive is something you know you'll never use and you plan on keeping the machine for a long time and not using it for a yr and selling, then i'd go for the 1.6 and save the money

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Hmm :eek: whoops

Must have just had PowerMacs on the brain.