iMac G5 17" 2.0 (iLife & Server?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ingenious, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    ¡Hola!

Just a quick question. Would it be speed-effective and responsive enough to install Tiger Server on an iMac and use it as an iLife/general use computer and also a "small-needs" server (i.e. 5-7 client, email, website [not extreme usage])?

thanks!

2. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I have heard of people and companies using Mac Minis for servers, so I would imagine an iMac would also work.

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

So do you think that all that I've mentioned above would run fine on a 1.42 GHz G4 Mac mini with 512 MB RAM?

4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Well the ironic thing about the mini compared to the imac is if you got one and found it was struggling you could simply add another one, maybe a 1.25, and still have spent less then an imac G5. I've had some experience will low client servers and funnily enough it isn't so much the speed of the machine that causes the problems but the hard drives and networking. If you go down the mini route do yourself a big favour and get one or two firewire externals to increase the speed and don't even think about wireless networking. It may be worth your while to look out for a used or refurbished G4 Powermac this will allow you to use large number of hard drives but also gain access to gigabit ethernet etc.

For the tasks you mentioned I would take a G4 Powermac over a G5 imac anyday. The mini route though will provide you with a cheap and small setup that will fulfil the tasks you require whether it will meet your expectations though I can't say. Even an imac with only one hard drive would come under strain with all that access. Two cheaper machines or one more heavy duty well specified one would probably be better.

5. Cfg5 macrumors regular

You can't install iLife if you have Tiger Server.

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Why?!? I purposefully worded my statement so someone might say this.... Any ideas why Apple does this or how to work around it? I'd really like to have one computer with Tiger Server/iLife with no dual boot options.

Thanks.

7. Cfg5 macrumors regular

I don't know of any way around it. iTunes comes with Server so obviously that works but iLife won't install on it. The only real alternative would be to maybe purchase the pro apps.

8. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/098249

There are work arounds. Some iLife apps will install straight off using individual installers others need some more work.

The question is do you really need OS X server? Surely it will depend upon which hardware option/s you take? What is your thinking behind the need to use OS X server?

9. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

I'm checking out that MacSlash article right now... thanks.

I'm wanting to use it to run a low-traffic website, 5-7 email accounts, file sharing, virus-scanning, firewall, maybe internet sharing, maybe printer sharing, and possibly, but not necessarily, remote home folders.

This is in conjuction with iLife, Office, web, email, and some Illustrator/Photoshop and Dreamweaver (occasionally) stuff.

Thanks.