iMac g5 17" Screen quality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrfrosty, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I was (am) making the choice between buying a new mini or a friends iMac g5 17"....He bought the g5 into work today for me to have a look at...

Basically i didnt buy it as to me the screen quality seemed REALLY! bad....I thought the screens were TFT as opposed to LCD?..... this seemed like a bad LCD with brightness variations round the edges and in the top cenre it had a distinct orange / brown look to it from and angle.........from dead straight on it was mostly fine......I have searched through the forums and around internet but I cant see any other people complaining

Is this normal?....I have to say i was somewhat shocked ....to say the least.!!!

Thanks.

2. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

doesn't sound great - probably a wise desision not to buy it. Is there anywhere near you that stocks iMacs that you can go an look to get an idea?

3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

The 17" imac G5 still uses the same outdated LCD as the old 17" imac G4. Some displays in the 17" imac line will be better than others and some not. Regardless of quality control issues the 17" LCD used in the imacs did have a tendency to bleed at the corners. Also the viewing angle on them is very poor compared to modern LCD.

I might add though that the 20" imacs have great LCD panels.

4. Kalinatek macrumors regular

yeah the iMac G5's have BAD displays , i am using mine for around 2 months now and i still cant get used 2 it. my old 19 inch Samsung Syncmaster was like 99999 times better. not only for games but everything.. hmm :confused:

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

My biggest problem with the screen is the brightness. It seems that the max brightness on most of the Mac screens are to dim for me.