iMac G5 2.0 or PowerMac G5 DL 2.0...wich one to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Soulrebel, May 11, 2005.

1. Soulrebel macrumors newbie

Hi,

let me start off saying that Im a student, living in the netherlands and working parttime at a webdesign/development company.

I'm about to buy a new mac, cause my old PB 800mhz isnt al that great anymore.

I must decide between a iMac G5 20" 2.0 (maybey 1 gb ram) or a standard PowerMac Dual 2.0

I already have a 'old' 20"cinema display screen (the white one) that my brother is using with his PC, so screen is not the problem (altough we'll have to fight for the screen).

Im getting told that a dual 2.0 is too much power fore my needs. Im using photoshop, text editors and most of the time Macromedia Flash running at the same time. And sometimes I play a bit with reason and garageband.

Is the PM really to much power for me, or can you see it as a invesment for the future (maybey when I enter the world of 3d/rendering). Also when I buy a mac I tend to puch it to the limits meaning it must last atleast 2 years before byung a new one.

At the other hand, the design of the iMac is soo freakingg unbelievable. Just thinking how that beatiful thing will look like in my room makes me happy :D

So advices, tips etc are welcome.

thank you in advance

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Sounds like your brother wants you to get the iMac so that you don't have to share a screen ;).

I would personally buy the PowerMac. Since you're a student, I'm sure the funds are not there to replace the computer every couple of years. That PowerMac will last you for at least the next 4 years along with more options to keep it up to date. Heck, look at how long the dual 2's have been around so far? Dual processors will only become more important in the future and getting the best now will help you to stay with the times.

P.S. the PowerMacs are just as good looking as the iMacs. Paired with an Apple display, you will love the look.

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree. Go for the Power Mac. It's not going to be too much power based on your needs. Even if it too much power, who cares. It's not going to hurt having a lot of power ...

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think it's funny how people say "this computer has too much power". I don't think a computer can ever have too much power. Once you use a fast computer, you realize what you would be missing and can't go back. The extra power can't do anything but help you. If you have the money, just get the better machine, you will thank yourself in the future.