iMac G5 2.1ghz or intel mac mini 1.66

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MRU, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #1
    Just sold my mac mini G4 with cheap 19" monitor & external HD for a good price €1100 ($1310)

    Now i'm deciding what to replace it with. I had initially thought i was just selling the mini and replacining it with an intel duo version as I planned on getting one in the US in a couple of weeks...

    However as I now need to replace practically everything (well I don't need to, just that I am :) ) and have other options open to me..

    A iMac G5 2.1ghz 20" is only €1500 Edu price, whereas a 1.66 duo mini + 20" Dell 2005FPW + bigger external drive is probably going to cost around the same price...

    I'm assuming the 2.1ghz G5 is going to be faster than a 1.66 Core duo machine even when all apps are native, so do you think that's a better buy?

    What would you do?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Just how badly do you want the 20" screen? I'd go with the 17" Intel model. :cool:
     
  3. Passante macrumors 6502a

    Passante

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    Location:
    on the sofa
    #3
    If you go with the mini you will always have your monitor. Not so with the iMac. I like to upgrade my monitor every other cpu purchase.
     
  4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #4
    I already have a 20" iMac Core Duo :) Just that there's €600 difference, and at least the G5 will run the FinalCut now... It's a backup machine that it will be.
     
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #5
    Can you wait a few more weeks? The Universal version SHOULD be out by then.
     
  6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #6
    In a few weeks (May) I'll be buying a MacBookPro for the studio as ProTools will be released.... (Plus I plan on updating my powermac before year end)

    I'm just in discussion at the moment with a friend, who might sell me his powermac G5 dual 2.5 for €1500 (only has 512mb ram and stock 160gb HD i think)... He has 2 17" Apple ACD monitors he say's he'll part with for 350 each? Seems a bit steep for 17" nowaday's - so I may just take the mac off his hands.
     
  7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #7

    Like I say, this is'nt a need - it's just a wreckless whim that I want to satisfy :D
     
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #8
    Yeah, I'd go with the Dual 2.5 GHz if this is your usual upgrade time.
     

Share This Page