iMac G5 20 inch Screen Calibration

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by asencif, Jan 24, 2006.

1. asencif macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed that some iMac G5 20 inch models screens are immensely bright that everything looks really clear and almost white like bleach. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. Even turning down the brightness dosen't make any of the text darker....Everything has very white tones. Do most of you with iMac 20inch models calibrate your screens? I've noticed this huge brightness on some models, but when I'm at the Apple store I noticed that theirs are very rich in color much darker, not as bright despite the brightness being high. All the details stand out.

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Preferences>Displays>Colour>Adobe RGB (1998)

3. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this the profile that is used at the Store or overall recommended by iMac users? A 1998 Color profile still makes a 2005 screen look better than it's own Apple iMac default calibration. Hmm....Can't try it now since I'm not home. Any other thoughts?

4. nutmac macrumors 68030

Adobe RGB (1998) is used for ensuring accuracy from your computer display to printer. In other words, it is not tuned for iMac's LCD. Minimally, you should run Mac OS X's color calibration tool (in advanced mode) to calibrate your LCD. Ideally, you will need to use calibration hardware (and if you are doing serious photography or video work, it's a must).

5. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

3rd Party Tools

Thanks for the input....What are some of the 3rd party tools for calibrating the iMac display? Any tips or special recommended settings you guys know of?

6. nutmac macrumors 68030

Start with Mac OS X's included color calibration. To calibrate your LCD more accurately, you will need to spend $200-400 for hardware calibrator, such as LaCie's blue eye pro.

7. howesey macrumors 6502a

There should be a profile called 'iMac', Apple have already calibrated your monitor for you.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I still fine that the Adobe RGB (1998) profile gets much better results than the generic iMac one Apple provides.

9. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I just calibrated my 20" Cinema Display (the original one) and compared it to the default and Adobe RGB 1998. Interestingly enough, what I calibrated it to with my eyes is almost (if not exactly) the same as Adobe RGB 1998. It's a good profile to go off of.
    -Chasen

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, that's the exact same thing that happened to me. :eek:

I just go with Adobe RGB (1998) profile.

11. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Hardware calibrators are the best way to go if accurate calibration is vital for you. SuperCal does a good job of building up a color profile without using a hardware calibrator. The calibration process in SuperCal is long and a little tedious, but I've found that the resulting profiles can be very accurate.

Also note that there is a bug in the way OS X handles colour profiles when multiple users are logged in using fast user switching. With multiple users logged in, any colour profile setting is ignored and the screen falls back on the generic profile. Additionally, if multiple users are logged in the OS X Color Calibration tool will report an error related to being unable to find the factory color profile.

12. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

iMac Default Color Profile

I know that when the OS is installed Mac OS X calibrates it for you, but I find it to be inconsistent. When I look at other similar models they are not all the same on the default despite it being the default iMac color profile. Not sure when or at what point does it do the calibration for you, but I was also wondering if I could take the profile from another iMac and just replace my current one with it. I am not looking for perfection, but definitely not how it is now. I think is terrible, colors with no richness, bright in every area like if someone was shining a white light on it. I will try Adobe 1998 as well. Thanks.

13. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

You can take a regular profile from: /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/.

You can take a profile you've calibrated from: User folder/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/.

Just transfer the ones you want and they should show up in the System Preferences.
    -Chasen