iMac G5 20" or Mac Mini 1.42Ghz? Based Visually!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Apple!Freak, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In all fairness, you need to include the KB & mouse with the iMac.

Regardless, the iMac wins, IMHO, hands down.

3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Thats true, I should have put a picture with the KB & Mouse up with the iMac. Either one I get I will be getting the wireless KB & Mouse setup for an even cleaner look.

I honestly think B. looks slightly better because I'm not sure, heh. Possibly because the white on the iMac looks too much like an iPod, ha.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Fair enough. The basis for my opinion is fewer pieces (even counting KB/mouse), no giant power bricks, fewer cables.

If the iMac looked like the Apple Cinema Display, then even better.

Of course, either setup is beautiful. :)

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

iMac...no doubt about it.

The "guts" are much better as well.

It is really no contest.

6. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Yeah, I'm hoping Apple's update of the iMac G5 which should come at the Paris Expo this year will be putting it in the Apple Cinema Display. :)

On a side note, I heard the Apple Cinema Display is MUCH better than the iMac display. Is this true?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have to admit, the second photo looks better to my eyes. I so want a Apple display!

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The ACD's are nicer - the iMac 17" is OK, but not exceptional (esp. in terms of angled viewing). The 20" iMac screen is a bit "slower" than the 20" ACD.

Still, they're both good screens - just not as good as the ACDs.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I like the AL look of the mini & cinema display. I have some bias, as I can't stand the extra space below the screen of the iMac G5.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I had been planning on replacing my aging iMac G4 800 sometime in 2006, and had resigned myself to spending more than I wanted on a PM and a 20" CD, as I want to get away from the AIO design for a while. Now, I have some small hope that, once the PB goes G5 later this year, we may even see the Mac mini getting a G5 in 2006 (hah, out a day and I'm already thinking about the next version). That'd make my decision to go with a separate monitor a little more friendly, financially speaking. Or allow me to up the display to a 23 instead:rolleyes:

As for which looks better? It's Apple hardware...it ALL looks great! But I agree with those who wish the iMac had the silver look of the Cinema Displays.

11. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I will be getting the 20" iMac so is the 20" better screen than the 17" iMac in quality?

12. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I will be getting the 20" iMac so is the 20" better screen than the 17" iMac in quality?

13. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Based on looks alone, I think I have to go with option B. The aluminum displays are so sweet, and the Mac mini is really cool.

However, given the choice between either machine, and the G5 wins.

Both are great looking, either way.

14. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Please don't double post! :cool:

#A. I like better because I have one. :)

15. iBook macrumors regular

I have to say that I really like the look of the Mac mini. If it had a G5 in it, I'd already have one on order.

As it is, I understand -- correctly :confused: -- the G4 won't handle all the visual goodness promised in 10.4. So I'm waiting for the G5.

16. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I would have to agree. The Mac mini would probally be a done deal for me if it had the G5.

iBook, I see you have a Nikon D70. How do you like it? I'm going to pick one up tomorrow at Ritz.

17. iBook macrumors regular

The D70 is the finest camera I've ever owned or used. It's a camera I can use now and grow into -- it offers the simplicity of a point-and-shoot and the sophisication of a true SLR.

Enjoy!

18. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Awesome! Yeah I was going to get the Canon EOS Digital Rebel but I decided I would spring with the extra couple hundred bucks and go with the Nikon D70 Outfit from what I had been reading in reviews and message forums.

I'm pretty excited to go pick it up tomorrow! :)

Man I feel like it's Christmas all over again. For christmas I got the HD595 Sennheiser headphones and an iPod and now I'm getting a Nikon D70 camera tomorrow along with an iPod Shuffle (for the gym and such) next week when they are in and then the big one which is a iMac 20" G5 which I will get mid next month.

This is so cool! I'm very happy to finally be making the switch to a Mac from PC.

SCREW THE PC! SCREW THE PC! SCREW THE PC!

BOW TO THE MAC! BOW TO THE MAC! BOW TO THE MAC!

19. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Ok the design had been made final! :)

I choose the iMac G5 20". In my eyes the Mac mini with Apple display may look slightly better than the iMac G5 20" but the iMac G5 20" will suit my needs best all in a small but large package! :)

Thanks for your help guys! I will post once I get the iMac which should be around this time next month.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

2nd picture all the way.

The Mac mini and ACD are both more flexible, than the iMac G5 IMHO.

You can stack the Mac mini and make it a render farm, cannot do that with the iMac G5 it would take too much space.

The Mac mini and iMac G5 have about the same mount of upgradability.

In an regard the Mac mini doesn't have the power of the iMac G5 however it also has the cost factor down if you shop at the right places and with the right BTO. :)

ACD looks far more attractive than the white bar of the iMac G5. :cool:

Remember you can get BlueTooth with the Mac mini as well and place the ACD on top of the Mac mini if you need the added height. :)

21. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Are you mad!? The Mac mini has NO WHERE the upgradability the iMac G5 has. With the Mac mini you are stuck with the cheesy 32mb graphics card and can't upgrade anything yourself without voiding the warrenty.

Not the case on the iMac G5.

Why would you want to make a render farm with the Mac mini when one iMac G5 would provide the same amount of power as 4 Mac mini's?

As far as cost actually the Mac mini would cost me a couple hundred less than the iMac G5 20". The Mac mini setup comes out to $1,788 and the iMac G5 comes to $1,955 using the Student discount.

Lastly, you are correct the ADC looks more attractive than the white iMac G5 but the iMac G5 is gorgouse in it's own! :)

22. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That "extra space" is a design reference to the original Macintosh of 1984. Remember it? That was an important part of Mac history, and it's nice that Apple still pays aesthetic homage to the Macintosh's roots.

Apple!Freak congratulations on buying a new Mac, and thanks for starting a fun thread.

23. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Wow, Interesting. I did not know that. I figured they did that because they needed the space for internal work. I am going to research more on this! :)

Thanks! I havn't purchase the new Mac yet but within 30 days the purchase will be complete! :)

24. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Wow, talk about a change in how I viewed that extra space at the bottom of the iMac. For some reason after knowing Apple did that on purpose because of the 1984 mac and more so because of this video: http://www.apple.com/imac/video/ I am closed that it actually looks just as good with the extra space.

That video totally closed me on the iMac even though I was already closed. ;)

25. PeterD42 macrumors member

Square iMac G4

Maybe there should be a wide sqaure groove on the bottom of the mini-mac so that you could just slide the cinema display into it.