iMac G5 20" Questions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Apple!Freak, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

urrently I'm running a P4 2Ghz Processor with 512mb, a Radeon 9200 128mb card and Audigy 2 sound card. I am going to make the switch to an iMac within the next month as my PC has just pissed me off one too many times and I just love the simplicty and features of the Mac OS X Interface.

I have just a few concerns about the iMac.

First is the Game performance. Does the iMac have enough power to feed graphics speed hungry games like Halo?

Second, I am somewhat of an Audiophile and have around $300 headphones so I need a powerful sound card like the Creative Audigy2. Now do you think the iMac will supply me with a good enough sound card that compares with the Audigy2 to feed the 120ohms headphones I have?

and Third, you can buy games like Halo and such for a Mac right? Of course I would have to rebuy the games in Mac format right? Would buying a PC to Mac transfer program work and just transfer something like Halo over just like that?

Thanks!!! Looking forward to the responses.

Heh, I remember three years ago at the MacWorld SF event I was thinking man how I wanted a Mac yet I didn't have the funds to cover the purchase and now I do. I am very excited about getting my new mac within the next 30 days! :)

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'll answer what I can.

For games, a PC to Mac Transfer program just transfers the files, its like moving blocks, the blocks don't change, and the iMac will not run those games. Now theres always a chance the Cd's you bought will dual install on both platforms like starcarft used to back in the days but thats variable per company / disc. I wouldn't even suggest a "pc to mac" program, I would suggest setting up a simple network or using a crossover cable and transferring the things that will probably work like documents, pdfs, pictures and things of that nature onto your new computer.

for the headphones you might do better researching the actual specs of the technology and then ask at an audiophile forum like headfi.org ... Also couldn't you get an external AMP to drive those phones?

3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Thanks for the response. I actually am a member of Head-Fi. :)

I could use an amp but I would honestly perfer not to. I use an amp for portable use (Strange huh, it's usally the other way around) but I don't like to for at home use for some reason. My Audigy2 is awesome with driving the headphones I have (Senn HD595's) and since music is very important to me (I've got over $1k in music equitment in front of me right now) I want to make sure the iMac will have no problem with it.