iMac G5 20" Vrs. Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 with 20"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by codycartoon, Aug 31, 2004.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2002
    A little comparison...

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    900MHz frontside bus/processor
    512K L2 cache/processor
    256MB DDR400 SDRAM
    Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
    80GB Serial ATA
    8x SuperDrive
    Three PCI Slots
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    64MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem

+ Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)

= $3,298.00

20-inch widescreen LCD
    1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    512K L2 cache
    600MHz frontside bus
    256MB DDR400 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    64MB DDR video memory
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load SuperDrive

= $1,899.00

You could save 1,399 by getting the iMac and sacrificing the extra processor ,the 200 extra MHz bus, and expandability.

$1,399 is a ton, you could spend it in much better places if you are a filmmaker/designer/artist or whatever.

You could start by decking out the iMac with more ram and possibly a 400 GB hard drive.

Unless you really need the power and can afford and will need more updates in the future, I would highly recommend an iMac.

Finally a G5 system is somewhat affordable. Power to the people.

Does anyone know if you can install a HD yourself in one?

just some food for thought,

2. wcj912 macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2004
    Perth, Western Australia

Point taken. $1,399 is ALOT to save however don't forget the ability to expand, and the target market of the iMac vs. the PowerMac. PowerMacs are pointed more towards professionals. Bus speed comes in handy for graphic/video/audio professionals. Not allowing to upgrade the graphics card is certainly a downside of the iMac. However, considering the difference in price there's certainly a high-end target market just waiting to put there hands on one

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The PowerMac allows a MUCH better graphics card, a LOT more RAM, native dual monitor support, and ofcourse it also has dual processors.

I realize that the new iMac is a whole lot cheaper than the PowerMac, but that doesn't mean the PowerMac isn't still worth the money for those who want the power and can afford it.
  4. codycartoon thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2002
    exactly, if you have like $5000 to spend on a computer I would get the Powermac, but if you are just skimping by I would higley reccomend the iMac.

True the Powermac is much faster and it represents the "proffesional image" but think about how fast the iMac is in general. My powermac G4 867 Quicksilver still feels speedy and the new iMac specs just blow it away. I run a lot of "proffesional" applications on it such as Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop.

The only problem I see with the iMac is the hard drive, I have 3 drives installed on my Powermac. If I were able to put a 400 GB HD in the iMac that would be most excellent.

I seriously don't understand this whole graphics card drama.

5. DanTheMan macrumors member

Jun 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    It depends...

Seeing how the 20" LCD costs $1299 alone, you take that out of the equation and the price difference really isn't that big. With the PowerMac have options like adding a Dell 20" LCD for $700 plus all the other expansion options.

Personally I like the iMac and if I didn't already have a PowerMac, I'd really consider getting the iMac over the PowerMac, but then again I already had a Dell 20" LCD connected to my Windooz machine before I got my PowerMac so for just $100 more than the iMac getting dual processors and all of the other stuff is definitely worth it. :D