Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
I made a handful of phone calls today trying to track down a discounted iMac g5 2.1GHz 20". To my surprise, I heard this twice:

"No, we're all sold out.. a lot of people are looking for them."

The compupUSA told me that the only models they had left were displays... and they weren't even discounted! I was really expecting these to get discounted and sell.. as people made the transition ot the dual core intels, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Are there any third party vendors discounting them right now? Any place I can find a cheap one... because the refurb store isn't a deal and used should be a last resort.

Thanks in advance!

g^3

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
amazon.com has them for $1499 plus a $150 rebate making the final cost $1350. plus, the free shipping and no tax is an added bonus. goodluck

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
the imac g5 is a great machine and will last your needs for a long time. good luck on tracking one down.;)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Ah... I just noticed this thread got moved. Sorry about that.

I'd thought of it as a "buying advice" thread... but this might make more sense.

Thanks.

My feelings change about once a day.. intel/g5.... g5/intel.. and back. I'll be in Columbus this weekend and I'm sure I'll buy one at Easton.

Unless that damn refurb store updates sooner!

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
if they're all sold out, wouldn't that make it a seller's market? if there was a glut of these machines, then it would be a buyer's market.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
That's certainly become true.

I'd thought going in, there'd be a ton of these machines available for cheap... I mean, who would want to buy them? That's not the way its looking, at least, in stores. The point of the thread was, it's not working the way I thought it would. It's a sellers market and it's a testament to how good of a machine this new g5 iMac is.

The online Apple refurb store posted some machines today and the prices on the 17" models are rather cheap. A 17" 1.6 first gen for $749.

Apple has the new models priced very closely to the refurbed ones, I'm guessing so that consumers making the decision will clear out the new inventory. After that, refurbed will be the only option.. and they'll pay whatever is the price.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
As a bookend to this thread... I just wanted to say, I was in the Apple Easton store today and they had one Imac G5 2.1GHz with isight.. "refreshed" for $1195.

It was just an imac that someone bought and then traded up to the Core Duo and brought back. I saved $500 and while it may not be as fast as a core duo, I don't think it was a mistake. We're ripping a dvd that we made right now and it throws the stuff around. For $1200 I got a quite nice AIO for the dowstairs.

So yeh... it is a buyers market and it makes some of the guys in the marketplace (who are trying to get $1300 out of a 17" look kinda silly).

turbopants

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Chicago
Yeah, I'm gonna have to check my local Apple stores in Chicagoland and see if they have any open boxed iMac G5's around. That's a real good price for that machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.