iMac G5 advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JeffTL, Oct 16, 2004.

1. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

One of the computers in my house is a 500 MHz Pentium III Gateway with what appears to be a dying hard drive -- obviously, an iMac G5 is the logical way to replace it.

The question is this: should I get it soon (i.e., in time for Christmas) or wait for WWDC (where there will probably be a revision, but also a likely further wait to actually get one if they have any supply problems)?

The model I am considering is the base 17" upgraded to a gigabyte of RAM, though depending on if TiVo To Go supports Mac I might consider the SuperDrive (or if it becomes standard in a revision).

Thank you.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a hard drive is an easily fixable component dot throw that gateway away give it to a school or something.

i'd get the 1.8GHz imac and 512MB ram as 512 is enough and you can always add more latter you cannot upgrade the cpu, buy 3rd party ram to save money as apple ram is expensive.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

WWDC is an awful long time to wait for a beautiful machine like that. I would recommend just buying it now quite honestly - if you always wait for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting! Buy a new iMac now and start enjoying it. As for the Dell, don't throw it away - a HD can easily be replaced and you could use it as a server or give it to a school or something like that.

4. JeffTL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually meant MWSF in January, not WWDC. Nonetheless there is some chance of an iMac bump at MWSF but nonetheless it might be worth just ordering the thing as soon as is reasonably possible. However I'd hate to be able to get more for less in such a short amount of time.

As for the Gateway, if the hard drive still works when I get the G5 I might give it to a school or something (though the local elementary school has two beige G3s in every room and probably wouldn't benefit much from a Windows 98 box that's about to die); failing that I'm sticking it away somewhere -- the case and floppy drive, if nothing else, would be highly useful if I ever wanted to make a MythTV box.

EDIT: And as to why the Apple RAM, I'd prefer the convenience of having it installed for me and having everything on one warranty.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Faire enough, but you can buy Crucial RAM for less, and it's the exact same RAM Apple uses. They offer a lifetime warranty as well, and it's not like installing RAM is difficult. ;) But, do what you will, just order from Apple if you don't mind spending more money. Personally, I can't justify paying Apple the premium they charge.