Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Have 2 x512M modules installed

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR SDRAM
Speed: PC3200U-30330

And was thinking about going to 2 x 1G.

I see it's DDR but when i look around - DDR2 is less than half the price of DDR

So although i know it's unlikely - wanted to check if there was any compatibility between the G5 ALS and DDR2 memory?
------------------------
This from crucial uk would suggest not

Generally speaking, motherboards are built to support only one type of memory. You cannot mix and match SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 memory on the same motherboard in any system. They will not function and will not even fit in the same sockets.

Found on ebay some suggestions that 'high density' memory doesn't work in Macs - sounds like i need to be careful what i get - any suggestions here?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yup. DDR is still pretty expensive. Only the last gen iMac G5 used DDR2 so it won't fit your model G5. Just remember to install in matching pairs.

Look for places like newegg.com or Frys.com as they usually have deals on DDR memory with mail-in-rebates.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
any thoughts on 'high density' memory and whether i need to consider this?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I know that the G4 Macs were picky with high density memory. I don't think I heard anything about the G5 platform being as picky but maybe someone else would know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.