iMac G5 and 20" ACD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Scottyk9, Mar 18, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004
    My 20" clear plastic ACD at work may be replaced. I was considering bringing it home and using it with my iMac G5, and using the screen spanning hack to use both screens.

Here is the proposed setup:
    iMac - Apple VGA display adapter - VGA to DVI adapter - DVI to ADC

I have the DVI to ACD adapter from Apple from when I 1st bought my powerbook, and would buy the apple VGA adapter. What I do not know about is the VGA to DVI adaptor - I have seen some advertised for as much as $300.

It strikes me that there are far too many adapters in this setup.
    My questions are:
    Will this work?
    What kind of VGA to DVI adapter do I need?
    Is there an anticipated deterioration in picture quality if this does work?

Thanks for your insights.
  2. macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well don't know all your questions but i dont think that the VGA-> DVI is 300 bucks.. A lot let proberly ;)

Edit: was thinking the wrong way with DVI->VGA :eek:
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    As far as I know these VGA to DVI adapters cost around 300 bucks. I have a similar problem right now and did some research. They are that expensive because they have to translate the analog signal into a digital one. What I found are not just simple cable connectors, there is a small box too.

I don't know if there is a cheaper solution. If there is, I'd be glad to know too! :confused:
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004
  6. macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    You know... take the money you'd get from selling the ADC display ($600+?) and add to it what you'd spend on a VGA-ADC adapter ($300) and that's a Dell 2005FPW right there. The 2005FPW is a 20" widescreen LCD that has both DVI and VGA inputs, so you can easily use it on an iMac.