iMac G5 and memory

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Smallville, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Smallville macrumors regular

I had some problems with my iMac G5 recently, but I have Apple Care. I think the problem is fixed, but wanted to share my story.

I was having problems with the computer freezing and bad pixelation of the screen. Sometimes, the startup screen looked like a video that was being rewound while playing (horizontal bars/stripes, "snow", etc.)

I read some of the older threads here and found some similar problems and was worried that it was the midplane.

The Apple techs had me remove a memory stick that was installed at the time of purchase. I had it up to 512 MB.

It turns out that I had two different brands of memory. The stick that came with the computer is a Micron. The second was a Samsung.

The tech support guy had me remove the Samsung stick and everything is working fine again.

So, does brand really matter, or is the Samsung just a faulty stick by coincidence?

Either way, I was told to take the stick back to the store and get a refund or another stick. I may get the refund and put it toward something else, as I don't see the difference in cutting my memory in half.

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

3. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what comes in them. But I was told to remove the Samsung and everything is fine. Maybe the original was a Samsung and went bad?

4. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

A day later, the iMac is still having problems with pixelation, freezing, etc. The Apple techs advise me to take it in to the local store.