iMac G5 and memory

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Smallville, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Smallville macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2004
    I had some problems with my iMac G5 recently, but I have Apple Care. I think the problem is fixed, but wanted to share my story.

I was having problems with the computer freezing and bad pixelation of the screen. Sometimes, the startup screen looked like a video that was being rewound while playing (horizontal bars/stripes, "snow", etc.)

I read some of the older threads here and found some similar problems and was worried that it was the midplane.

The Apple techs had me remove a memory stick that was installed at the time of purchase. I had it up to 512 MB.

It turns out that I had two different brands of memory. The stick that came with the computer is a Micron. The second was a Samsung.

The tech support guy had me remove the Samsung stick and everything is working fine again.

So, does brand really matter, or is the Samsung just a faulty stick by coincidence?

Either way, I was told to take the stick back to the store and get a refund or another stick. I may get the refund and put it toward something else, as I don't see the difference in cutting my memory in half.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
  3. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm not sure what comes in them. But I was told to remove the Samsung and everything is fine. Maybe the original was a Samsung and went bad?
  4. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2004
    A day later, the iMac is still having problems with pixelation, freezing, etc. The Apple techs advise me to take it in to the local store.