iMac G5 and Tiger...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by spencecb, Mar 28, 2005.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I was just wondering if anyone knows if my graphics card in my iMac G5 20" will be able to take advantage of the new technology in OS X Tiger so that the majority of the graphics processing will be done on the GPU instead of the CPU? Any responses will be most appreciated!

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3. Bear macrumors G3

Basically Tiger will offload what it can to the Video card. Different video cards will get different amounts of work handed to them.

The iMac G5's will work decently for Tiger. If you were getting a PowerMacI'd recommend getting the best video card possible. And on the 15" PowerBook, upgrade the VRAM to 128MB (it can only be done at build time).

4. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    iCurious... Not only to find out about the graphics capabilities, but to know what are some of the other improvements that an iMac G5 can benfit from with Tiger running. Also, is there any hope to getting a free / reduced price copy since I just got my G5 iMac less than a month ago? Jus' wonderin'...

5. Bear macrumors G3

The same general benefits everyone will get from Tiger. There are general speed optimizations all through Tiger.

There is always the chance of finding a copy at lower than retail, or with a rebate. If you're a student, use the student discount.