iMac G5 and why the 20" is much better than the 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cluthz, Sep 23, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've been looking on the new iMacs the lasts couple of days, and this was really shocking!
    The tech spec on the 17" display is sooo horible, it reminds me of lcd screens many years ago. Apple list the viewing angle 120°/90°, the 20" is 170°/170°.
    Atleast apple are being honest about it....
    The 20" viewing angle i actually good, but the 17" is an another story...
    The brigthtness was ok on the 17" inch and a little better on the 20".
    Wonder what response time those displays has..

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yeah, the 17" doesn't have very good viewing angles. However, I don't know about you, but I never look at my computer screen at any other angle other than straight on. I think the LCD's are fine and shouldn't really prevent anyone from buying the 20" over the 17" just for that reason.

JOD8FY

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Because the 20" is much bigger than the 17"? It's said the 17" uses older panel, while the 20" uses newer.

Response time for 20" could be around 16ms. 17" is likely 25ms.

4. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

i couldnt spot much wrong wit the 17in so the 20in must look prettty awesome!

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I believe that both of them use the screens that were in the previous generation of apple cinema displays. Since the 20" model was newer than the 17" in that line, it stands to reason that the 20" imac would have those better specs. I don't think that should be an absolute bar to buying the 17" though, just another factor to consider.

6. Björn Guest

Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think you really can judge a screen by the specs. I have seen displays with good specs but mediocre image quality. The only fair way to compare would be side by side, and to read professional tests and users experiences.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

umm...they never made a 17" widescreen cinema display, just the 4:3 studio one. the 17" imac uses the same screen from the previous 17" imac and the 17" pb.