Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimezsmoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Hello,
I'm getting to be quite a fan of this site! I have more or less the same question regarding the 'animation on the iMac G5' question already posted. How far can I go on an iMac? I'm still on a 2nd generation iMac G3 working on OS 9.2. It still runs fine but, being a designer, I'm starting to salivate at the thought of a total change of tech-scenery as far as physical looks of my next computer and getting to grips with OS 10.4 Tiger. *But* I don't want to go overboard with what I might or might not use on my new mac. I'm only starting to learn 2D animation and Flash but will like to continue on to learn 3D programs such as Maya, Alias Wavefront and Motion. Which Imac is the most upgradable?
Will the most upgraded iMac be able to handle my future aspirations or am I better off with a Power Mac G5? Thing is, I want a sleek all in one and can't really afford a Powermac plus 20+" LCD widescreen that the imac already offers.
Sorry for rambling, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jim

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If it were me doing this stuff, I'd get the best PowerMac I could afford with at least 1.5-2.5gb RAM and a decentish 21" CRT.

I wouldn't dream of throwing limited resources at an Apple LCD. While they're nice, I don't believe they offer value for money.

fedora

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
jimezsmoot said:
Hello,
I'm getting to be quite a fan of this site! I have more or less the same question regarding the 'animation on the iMac G5' question already posted. How far can I go on an iMac? I'm still on a 2nd generation iMac G3 working on OS 9.2. It still runs fine but, being a designer, I'm starting to salivate at the thought of a total change of tech-scenery as far as physical looks of my next computer and getting to grips with OS 10.4 Tiger. *But* I don't want to go overboard with what I might or might not use on my new mac. I'm only starting to learn 2D animation and Flash but will like to continue on to learn 3D programs such as Maya, Alias Wavefront and Motion. Which Imac is the most upgradable?
Will the most upgraded iMac be able to handle my future aspirations or am I better off with a Power Mac G5? Thing is, I want a sleek all in one and can't really afford a Powermac plus 20+" LCD widescreen that the imac already offers.
Sorry for rambling, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jim

If you just want to learn 3D modelling and a little animation the iMac, with a RAM upgrade would manage it. It will run something like Cinema 4D fine.
But when you start to make complex NURBS objects and long animations it will take a long time to render your project, so this is when it helps to have dual processers and 8 gigabites of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.