Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skreety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Pleasant Grove, UT
I own a lovely 20" iMac G5 and I'm about to purchase a 15" Powerbook (as soon as my hopes of an update are destroyed on July 7). What I'm wondering is if there is any way to mirror my Powerbook display on the iMac.

Thanks for your comments.

[[[I'm thinking there must be a post on this, but I can't seem to find it. If there's one out there, just point me to it.]]]

skreety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Pleasant Grove, UT
So if I want to be able to use both machines (and keep my files in sync), is there a better approach than using a crossover cable and accessing the Powerbook files from the iMac?

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
skreety said:
So if I want to be able to use both machines (and keep my files in sync), is there a better approach than using a crossover cable and accessing the Powerbook files from the iMac?

I wouldn't go with .mac... that's over the internet... means slower than ethernet/airport... and for that price you can buy the solution I would suggest

it depends on how much data you need to keep in sync...

small files... get an USB stick so you will allways work on the newest version because its on that one... and its connected to the computer you're working on at that moment...

bigger files... buy a small external FireWire or USB2 drive... something like LaCie's pocket drives... FireWire is buspowered (don't know about USB2)
and work from that... its quite easy once you did set this up and use it properly...

to sync mail... just setup your account on both computers... be sure that neither deletes mails from the server, I mean set it up like... keep mails on server for one week or if deleted from your inbox on the comp... and then both computers will have the same inbox...
only sent mails will differ, but that's quite logic...

another option is offcourse to leave all the files you're working on on the PowerBook and when you're at home (buy a normal FireWire cable) boot the PowerBook as Target, connect it to the iMac and there you go all the files are accessible and will allways be in sync... hmm this is the cheapest option ;) and it works!!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wow...

Your solution(s) are a little complex, don't you think? I mean .mac syncing does exactly what he wants it to, and it is not all that expensive.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
appleretailguy said:
Your solution(s) are a little complex, don't you think? I mean .mac syncing does exactly what he wants it to, and it is not all that expensive.

FireWire target mode isn't very complicated, as it just entails cabling two computers' FireWire ports together and holding the "T" key down during bootup on the computer you want to act as a FireWire drive.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Wait till the G5 becomes totally obsolete, then someone will definitely figure something out.

skreety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Pleasant Grove, UT
Thanks everybody for the advice. I've never used .mac, but I'm reluctant because it seems like it would be slow. Even with a fast connection, I'm guessing you have to log in and let everything sync. Plus, does it keep MS Word files, etc., updated? That's what I'm mostly concerned about.

Jo-Kun: I appreciate all your ideas. You mentioned Airport in your post. Is there a wireless solution to syncing files?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Are you saying you basically want the both computers to be exact replicas of each other? I don't think that's possible. :(

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
ITASOR said:
Are you saying you basically want the both computers to be exact replicas of each other? I don't think that's possible. :(

FireWire Target Disk mode does exactly that. Well, not complete replicas. But it copies all Home folders I believe, which are most important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.