1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iMac G5 being very loud

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by emac82, Mar 20, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I have an iMac G5 2.0 with ALS (model before i-Sight), and it's been very loud lately. Even if I don't have any programs open the fans are going at full force and there is like a humming/buzzing sound. I just had all the 3 fans replaced, and it made no difference. I can be sitting upstairs, and I can hear my iMac going downstairs, it's to the point where I don't even like using it.

I am going to try hooking it up with just the keyboard and mouse, and unplug my other devices, but I don't think it will make a difference. It runs at about 60-70 degrees which I think it normal for the G5's...

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors member

style

happened to me before, just clean the dust gathered at the bottom (near speakers) and u will notice a big difference

3. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Took Mine back, Sig sez it all :(

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Do you have your performance settings set to High in Energy Saver?
    2. Have you ever opened up and cleaned out your iMac?

5. macrumors 6502

It's not dusty in the computer, I have had it open quite a few times before, including yesterday.

I haven't checked the energy saver, I'm not at home right now so I will check when I get home.

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Have you checked Activity Monitor for CPU usage?

7. macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have checked Activity monitor, and it seems to be fine. It is idling at like 80-90%.

8. macrumors 6502

Okay, so I turned my computer off for about half an hour, and I unplugged everything except the keyboard and mouse, and it has been running all day. I got home from work and it isn't running as loud as it normally is, so maybe it is something I have plugged in. I normally have plugged in an external firewire drive (but it's not turned on when not in use), Bose speakers, my usb camera dock, a usb hub, and a usb printer..So maybe it is one of those things that is causing it.

My Energy Save is set to Automatic. It still has a buzzing noise, it's not so much a hum, it's more a buzzing noise, but I do not know what is causing it. I have played with the brightness and it makes no difference.

I guess I will have to plug my devices back in one by one, and see if I can narrow it down.

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian