iMac G5 bootup issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ortuno2k, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Hey,

This morning my iMac locked up on me so I had to do a hard shutdown (hold power down) and left to work.
    When I came back home tonight, I turned it on but I got stuck on the Apple logo screen and the spinning wheel thing (gray screen) and it stayed there for a while. Then the fans became loud after about 30 seconds, so I shut it down again. I tried on & off about 2-3 times until it finally got me on my desktop, but it felt a bit slow while booting.
    This is the 2nd time I see this, since I normally don't shut down my system, but the last time it happened it got me on my desktop a lot quicker than 2-3 tries. I normally sleep my Mac when I'm not using it.
    What could this be? I'm running 10.4.4 on a 20" iMac G5. No recent changes to the OS or hardware.
    Should I consider a FULL backup and reinstall?
    Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Why exactly did you have to do the hard shut down in the first place? Have you installed any hardware or software recently? Do you have new RAM? Have you tried running fsck? Sorry for all the questions, hopefully we'll get this sorted soon. :)

3. ortuno2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

For the hard shutdown, I pressed and held the Power button until the unit turned off. This I did multiple times until it eventually started slowly but to the desktop.
    No recent installs of RAM or software.

I tried running Disk Utility and repairing permissions, but I'm not sure if the problem may come back. I will try running DiskWarrior and hope it doesn't happen again.

But in the meantime, if anyone know what this is, please comment.

Thanks.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The first time you needed to do a hard shutdown, was it because the screen froze, went grey or something else?

What results did fsck turn up? :)