Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
The Rev. A iMac G5 is folding along and working ok I guess, but I toook the back off to remove dust from inside when I noticed that several of it's electrolytic capacitors are bulging and something seems to be oozing out of the top of some of them. What should I do?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Hmm....I can not remember hearing about this before.... :eek:

Do you still have AppleCare? I think that a call to Apple may be in order. :eek: :)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Cheese said:
The Rev. A iMac G5 is folding along and working ok I guess, but I toook the back off to remove dust from inside when I noticed that several of it's electrolytic capacitors are bulging and something seems to be oozing out of the top of some of them. What should I do?

I believe this is a well known issue with bulging/exploding capacitors and there was an extended 'care' program - a call to Apple should clarify whether it's covered - even if you don't have Apple Care.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Cheese said:

sounds like you might be eligible for this

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Cheese said:

Yes, get that replaced! Capacitors are not supposed to do that.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster

Attachments

• bulge.jpg
    bulge.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 229

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
i've since upgraded to the new 24inch core2 duo imac which has its own share of problems but i too originally had an iMac G5 and had my power source blow a little over a year after having it right after warranry expired. Luckily apple replaced it for free cus yes its a known issue. take it to the apple store and they should be able to fix it in a day or 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.