iMac G5 capability vs. PM G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by archosage, May 18, 2005.

1. archosage macrumors newbie

I am considering an iMac G5 20" for mostly some prosumer video editing for my school. The PM G5 Dual 2.0 is also an option, though much more expensive. I am convinced that the PM G5 is too much for what I plan to do.

I will be using Final cut Studio, all the programs, in the PR I will be doing for my high school. I know that the PM G5 would be faster and get things done quicker, but the iMac G5 is much more attractive in pricing because I would not need to purchase a new monitor. Another point would be for 2 years from now, in college, the iMac would just fit better in a small dorm room, and it would be sufficient for the projects I would use the iMac for in college (no video editing).

Though it may sound like I am convinced on which one to buy, I'm still open to suggestions. I know that Motion 2 will really be hungry for power, but I'm in high school with deadlines that I set myself, so I'll be able to work slowly if I have to. Is this a wise plan to follow, money is an issue if it goes beyond the Dual 2.0 PM.

I just finished a 20 minute long video on FCP for school on a powerbook 12" and I found it too small and not fast enough to do without a few headaches. Would the iMac G5 enable me to work more efficiently than on the powerbook?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It sounds like you already made up your mind. It sounds like you want the iMac. Personally, I would like the higher speeds with the Dual 2.0, as they cut some compression times in half compared to the iMac. That's according to these benchmarks from Mac World. You don't have to spend $799 on a screen. You can get a Dell 2005FPW ($400) or a 17 inch display (Under $300) that will work, and you have the extra power. I agree it's a lot of money, but in my opinion it's worth it.

3. Church macrumors regular

Church

i too, am in high school and the reason the pm interests me is because it can be upgraded in more areas than just memory, hdd, and optical drive. imacs are nice and all, but you're stuck with what you have until you buy a new one, and memory upgrades only go so far. So, I would think that you could keep going along with the software updates a lot longer, and save about the same amount of money over time, and you could save more time by getting a faster machine. (i wish i had one :( ) Either way, for prosumer stuff, go with the pro machines and play in the big leagues.

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

A good shelf life of a all-in-one system is 3-5 years.
    I think the iMac G5 will last a while now.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree it will last, but for video editing, the dual processor will benefit him a lot.

6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

The PowerMac definitely has the advantage on future upgrades, so the initial price difference may not mean much 2 years from now when you can either add some more memory, a new hard drive and video card for, say, $400 or buy a whole new iMac at that time for, say, $1300.

But you're right, the iMac will be easier to carry to college and will cost less initially. And if as you say your deadlines are set by you personally, then the speed difference in the here and now probably won't be a bad thing and the lower initial price could well justify it.

So try to thnk 2-3 years down the road and ask what you'll be doing with this Mac at that time. If it's likely to be more than the iMac can handle, then go with the PM now and upgrade it later.