Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I'd say you probably WON'T see a commercial for the new iMac G5. Apple hardly ever does a commercial for its computers for some stupid reason! You'd think that since they advertise the hell out of the iPod they'd catch on and start advertising their computers! But what do I know!

stoid

macrumors 601
mklos said:
I'd say you probably WON'T see a commercial for the new iMac G5. Apple hardly ever does a commercial for its computers for some stupid reason! You'd think that since they advertise the hell out of the iPod they'd catch on and start advertising their computers! But what do I know!

I don't know what you know! I think that you've used your quota of exclamation points for the rest of the week! :eek:

I think that with Apple claiming the whole, "From the creators of the iPod" on their website, I think that they will do TV ads. At least I hope that they do. However, it does make sense that they will at least wait another few weeks before they are readily available before they advertise it.

If you'll notice though, they aren't really advertising much at all for the mini, and those are still selling like hot-cakes. Maybe it's not just the ads, but also that the iPod is so far ahead of the competition that they haven't even caught up to the first iPod design.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I like exclamation points OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only used 2 anyways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In past years, Apple has hardly ever ran commercials for their computers. If they do, they don't show it for only about a week. Just like the new PowerMac G5 commercial, it was only on TV for around a week or so. Same goes for the previous G3 iMac commercials.

I think the iPod mini sales comes off from the iPod commercials. When people go to http://www.apple.com/ipod they also see the iPod mini. Now I guess the same could be true for Apple Computers. When people go to http://www.apple.com/ipod they may also browse around to the other products that Apple makes, such as their computers.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
You'll see commercials for the new iMac starting in early November.

Why, you ask?

Because that's when people start CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
These ads should be cool! They can show multicolored silhouettes of people sitting at desks, quietly typing memos.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
quagmire said:
I also remember the 12"/17" pbook commercial Big and small. Here it is.

LOL. I haven't seen that before - pretty good.

Although Apple TV commercials are scarce, the company does see a fair share of press, newspaper, and magazine print advertisements, not to mention posters, bilboards, etc.

Like most others on these forums, I too feel Apple would benefit from television commercials; but, most people know how disenchanted Steve Jobs is of the TV.

I don't blame him.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
iMeowbot said:
These ads should be cool! They can show multicolored silhouettes of people sitting at desks, quietly typing memos.
lol, or dancing around with their ipod and their boss walks in so they sit down at their desk and type, then their earbuds fall out and the boss hears rock music

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You consider the beat "hard rock"? :p

I hope I don't see a silhouette of a guy sitting at his desk. Kinda dumb ..... a mix of colourful and fun, with boring.

I hope they make commercials like those zany Dell adverts with those 3-4 office guys in their twenties acting all.....zany. ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When Apple advertises it, they'll do what they always do, fluff. We'll probably see some old lady, a la Clara Peller, squinting her eyes at the iMac G5 going, "Where's the box or Where's the cables?

Please Apple, advertise your computers and show real people doing real, everyday tasks more efficiently than on a WIndows box.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
danbalsh said:
I actually made a 'fake' iMac G5 Advert a few days after the keynote;

http://homepage.mac.com/daniel.balshaw/.cv/daniel.balshaw/Public/Born to Reign.mp4-binhex.hqx

also

http://homepage.mac.com/daniel.balshaw/.cv/daniel.balshaw/Public/iMac + iPhoto.mp4-binhex.hqx

This one focuses on iPhoto... iMac will do for iPhoto what iPod did for iTunes :eek:

What do you think? :confused:
nice. i like the spinny dealie at the end, but if that were the only iMac G5 commercial it might not do so well; they might need one with users doing stuff

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
stoid said:
I think that with Apple claiming the whole, "From the creators of the iPod" on their website, I think that they will do TV ads. At least I hope that they do. However, it does make sense that they will at least wait another few weeks before they are readily available before they advertise it.

Over the years I can count on one hand the number of Apple Computer ads I've seen. I highly doubt that they will advertise the iMac simply because they are probably going to be swamped as it is. IBM is still having production issues with the G5, but thankfully it appears to be starting to clear up. That coupled with the number of existing Mac users who will most likely upgrade....I don't think so.
If they would even consider such a move it would be 2 or 3 commercials for the holiday shopping season. Beyond that? IMHO, nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.