iMac G5 connection with Samsung HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steveca, Jun 11, 2006.

1. steveca macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2005
    Hello. I have some questions...

Can I connect my iMac G5 (1st generation) with my Samsung HDTV? I know you can use S-video but will I get High Definition like that??? My TV has HDMI and DVI inputs as well. Can I use one of these?

If I play a DVD on my mac will it be in HD standard like this, or DVD's themselves are still not HD???

Thanks for answering my query :)
  2. miked_in_canada macrumors member

May 20, 2005
    Good questions all, I'm still learning myself.

DVD's do not contain HDTV quality video. The two emerging media formats that do are Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

With regard to your earlier question, my understanding is that S-Video will transmit HD quality video. Whether the iMac outputs it, I'm not sure. In any case, you will probably see an improved DVD picture vs. standard RCA cables but I'm not sure if it will be noticeable better than component cables.
  3. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

S-Video should work. No HD. HD can only be carried over a computer link (including HDMI) or Component Video.

Your best bet is to screen mirror or use a spanning hack (risky) from your miniVGA to the VGA in the Samsung.

I link my PB to my Samsung LCD with a 5 meter VGA cable and a 3.5mm audio connector and it works well to display anything 1360x768.
  4. asquared99 macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2008
    Hdtv Hookup

This is whats up...! I also have a G5 (1st generation) and i hooked mine up through a vga cable! need to a video out to vga...this is the one you have to get there are many look alikes!( plugs into the mac....then another cable vga to vga check for male/female parts....(if your tv doesn't have vga buy a vga to hdmi...or vga to dvi cable) With play and plug your computer will show up on your screen... then you click on the displays icon up by your internet time/date and stuff...from there you can set the resolution! (it will allow you to set it as high as the t.v. definition will allow...depending on your hd 1080i or 720p i have a 720p and it lets me set it to 1024X768 (stretched millions) It looks AWESOME!
    (Trust me this is the best way to do it!):apple:
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Apologies, but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

- The iMac G5 only has VGA (and composite/s-vid) -- it does not output a digital video signal.

- Composite and S-Video will not give you high definition. The higher end of S-Video's quality is in the rough neighborhood of 480p.

- VGA *will* give you high definition, assuming your TV has a VGA port. If it does, this is the best option.

- There is no easy way to convert VGA to either DVI or HDMI, because your TV will expect a digital signal on these ports. If you really have to do this, the converter will cost $100-200US.

- If none of those options so far work, you might also be able to convert VGA to component, which will also give you a HD signal. I'm not sure how easily you can convert VGA to component -- there are adapters available for this in the $30-100 range, and there are also VGA -> component adapter cables, but these adapter cables only supposedly work on some video cards, I don't own one, and I have no idea if it works with the iMac or not. But even the adapter boxes cost quite a bit less than any kind of digitizer that would let you use your DVI port.

Even if you do use VGA, you may also need to use SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX to adapt the iMac to give you the TV's native resolution (I had to do this with my iMac G5 and my HDTV).