Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
I just bought an iMac G5, had it 2 weeks and it crashes. Called Apple and they ran me through tests, even tried to reinstall the OS and save my data. Nothing worked. I reformatted the HD and installed OSX from a clean hard drive, ran ok for about 12 hours and crashed again.

Hardware problem? Anyone have any ideas? I cant even get it to boot up now. I had it booted and repaired the permissions and uninstalled all software I had on it. I didnt load any "pirated" software, only installed Office X on it which is a legally bought copy. Copied music to it, and photos. it was updated to the latest updates also.

Anyone have this problem before. Was able to get it to boot in safeboot mode, but now it wont even do that.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
There must be a hardware problem (seeing as you seem to have done all the software stuff, including a reinstall!). Get on the phone to Apple, tell them this is not good enough, it's a new machine and it should work perfectly from the get-go. You want it replaced in no uncertain terms. Don't back down. You've had this thing a couple of weeks and should not be having problems like this.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
edesignuk said:
There must be a hardware problem (seeing as you seem to have done all the software stuff, including a reinstall!).

I agree. If you're not too far from an Apple store, have one of their *geniuses* check it out.

If you don't get any satsifaction, politely (but very firmly) ask for a replacement machine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
DaveL, you nailed it... I took the 3rd party "KINGSTON" RAM out of my iMac and it booted right up and works perfectly, no crashes or problems yet whatsoever. I just ordered a 1GB stick directly from Apple. Thanks for all who replied to help me solve this problem. The apple techs were very professional and worked with me ever step of the way, the best part of the whole situation was that I didnt spend a lot of time on HOLD while calling Apple. Thats a real plus.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
cgratti said:
DaveL, you nailed it... I took the 3rd party "KINGSTON" RAM out of my iMac and it booted right up and works perfectly, no crashes or problems yet whatsoever. I just ordered a 1GB stick directly from Apple. Thanks for all who replied to help me solve this problem. The apple techs were very professional and worked with me ever step of the way, the best part of the whole situation was that I didnt spend a lot of time on HOLD while calling Apple. Thats a real plus.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

You should be able to return the RAM and get it swapped.. ordering direct from Apple doesn't mean it'll be faultless. I've had bad RAM from Apple too..

Ogbeesh

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2005
Glad you got it fixed.

Glad you got it fixed, pal.

I added 1 gb of ram to mine with no problem.

Apple uses Micron or Samsung in their computers and the one I got from Crucial was micron.

The G5 IMAC originally uses Samsung.

Also heard Apple uses hynix too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.