iMac G5 Crashing Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ebook, Sep 20, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a Rev. A iMac G5 20" that all of the sudden has about given up on me. After about a minute of being on the screen will go funky and then about a minute or two later it will crash and tell me I need to hold the power button down to restart. The hard drive is nearly full, but still has 3.75 GB available.

Any suggestions for this deal? I'm trying to attach a couple of pictures of what the screen looks like. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It's overheating.

Take the back off like you're going to change RAM, then go buy a can or two of compressed air and blow out all the dust you can find inside, especially where the CPU/GPU heatsinks are.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

reanimationLP - Thanks for the advice! I gave that a try, but it doesn't seem to have worked out ... in fact I can't even get the hardware test cd to run so I don't know what is going on. It comes up in a "whatever" mode and tells me to type mac-boot. I do and then I just get the folder that blinks between the question mark and the "mac face"

I'm going to try working on it some more, but if it isn't able to be saved I would like to try and pull the hard drive out in order to save my stuff. What size drive would my G5 iMac 1.8 GHz have so I could order an external hard drive case. Thanks for all the help :)

4. macrumors 6502a

hdd will be 3.5 and pretty sure it's a sata as i think all the g5s were.

mine definately is but thats a rev b.

hopefully someone else will confirm for you