Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
I have a Rev. A iMac G5 20" that all of the sudden has about given up on me. After about a minute of being on the screen will go funky and then about a minute or two later it will crash and tell me I need to hold the power button down to restart. The hard drive is nearly full, but still has 3.75 GB available.

Any suggestions for this deal? I'm trying to attach a couple of pictures of what the screen looks like. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCI0205.jpg
    DSCI0205.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCI0208.jpg
    DSCI0208.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 44

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
It's overheating.

Take the back off like you're going to change RAM, then go buy a can or two of compressed air and blow out all the dust you can find inside, especially where the CPU/GPU heatsinks are.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
reanimationLP - Thanks for the advice! I gave that a try, but it doesn't seem to have worked out ... in fact I can't even get the hardware test cd to run so I don't know what is going on. It comes up in a "whatever" mode and tells me to type mac-boot. I do and then I just get the folder that blinks between the question mark and the "mac face"

I'm going to try working on it some more, but if it isn't able to be saved I would like to try and pull the hard drive out in order to save my stuff. What size drive would my G5 iMac 1.8 GHz have so I could order an external hard drive case. Thanks for all the help :)

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
reanimationLP - Thanks for the advice! I gave that a try, but it doesn't seem to have worked out ... in fact I can't even get the hardware test cd to run so I don't know what is going on. It comes up in a "whatever" mode and tells me to type mac-boot. I do and then I just get the folder that blinks between the question mark and the "mac face"

I'm going to try working on it some more, but if it isn't able to be saved I would like to try and pull the hard drive out in order to save my stuff. What size drive would my G5 iMac 1.8 GHz have so I could order an external hard drive case. Thanks for all the help :)

hdd will be 3.5 and pretty sure it's a sata as i think all the g5s were.

mine definately is but thats a rev b.

hopefully someone else will confirm for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.