iMac G5 & Crucial 1 gig RAM stick

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vinylbomb, Oct 19, 2005.

1. vinylbomb macrumors newbie

I just purchased a stick of after-sales RAm from Crucial.com. On receiving it I eagerly stuck it into one of the DIMM slots on my original iMac g5, rebooted (slower than usual), had a look at my system, and saw the RAM was................not there.

The "about this mac" tab only recognises 256 megs of RAM (the original stick) and not the new one.It should say 1.25. The RAM is guaranteed compatible from Crucial (I used the memory selector tool to pick it out), and just wont appear.

Anyone know of any probs like this? I'm pulling my hair out here, dont want to return the RAM but I dont think I'll have much choice if I cant find a fix.

Sean

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Can you turn it off, swap the ram dimms in the slots, then reboot?

3. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

I had this happen to me once, it was just me being dumb - the ram wasn't seated correctly. Just double check that it's in all the way, to rule out the easy problem.

4. vinylbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I've tried swapping 'em over into different slots, and I've used as much force as I think I can in seating the RAM into the slots (so I'm certain its in OK) but still getting nowt from it