iMac G5 Cube???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by squirrellydw, Aug 15, 2004.

1. squirrellydw macrumors regular

squirrellydw

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

yea right... apple will release this x::rollseyes::X

3. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I would most certainly buy one of those - if they did exist

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nice mock up; but dont u think apple has learned from the cube...i dont think they will sell the imac as headless, i mean they need once computer thats an all-in-one non-laptop

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You mean like an eMac? :rolleyes: ;)

If my next computer didn't have to be a laptop, I'd defiantly buy one of those.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That would be cool. But the cube got rid of heat by convection, I don't believe that could be done with a G5. Imagine the fan in a cubed G5? I bet that thing could make the cube hover!

9. MacPhreak macrumors regular

Now THAT would be cool. People would buy it just because it hovered....I probably would.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

11. wide macrumors 6502a

What do you think it means by "Get it with the new iMac exclusive Cinema Display?

12. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Dude, those look sweet. I wish Apple would make that.

13. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

14. lazymuoio macrumors member

that is awesome i would most def get one if it was real to solve cooling the fan should be on top bc heat flows that way it would seem more effective

15. zv470 macrumors 6502

A headless iMac would simplify things nicely, making PowerMacs and iMacs use the same display might bring down production costs and bring prices down overall. Replacing the eMac with low-end iMacs would bring production costs down aswell. hmm... Do Apple really need the eMac?

Maybe they could replace the eMac with a 15" iMac with a swivel LCD. this would make a perfect eMac replacement, cheap, and it's great for doing assignments in portrait mode. The 15" iMac could so easily be modified to have a swivel display.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think They do. Remember the eMac is for education, and an eMac with an LCD will last alot less longer in a young child enviroment.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Agreed, crts will remain in schools for a long time. The emac with a LCD will cause massive repairing costs. We have the young kids touching the screen with fingers and even pencils and pens. Then we have the older kids that like to play pranks and maybe scratch it or crack open the lcd screen and all the liquid stuff oozes out.

18. friarbayliff macrumors regular

You know, I don't think it's fair to rule out the cube design completely. Small footprint computers have become really, really popular. Half the reason the original cube failed is that people we'rent necessarily ready to handle the whole concept of the tiny cube.

I would buy one :D

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    but the price would also limit the imac if it came in cube form; 699 for the 17 studio display, and i doubt the imac will be a sub 1000 machine

so if u add it up you arent that far off from a powermac but i could be wrong

20. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

that rendition is very nice, though it brings very little anything new. also, i think the imac is and will be an all-in-one solution.

the idea of the imac isn't to let customers buy a cheap crt, but to let them put the computer on the table, attach power and keyboard+mouse, and turn it on. if the display was sold separately, there would be more setting up.

21. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Exactly. The whole point of the iMac was all-in-one convenience. I'll just be sad if the current version goes to the wall. Althought I said this about the 2nd gen iMac it'll take something special for me to upgrade from this white-domed beauty.

22. squirrellydw thread starter macrumors regular

squirrellydw

iMac or not

iMac or not, if Apple would ever release this I would buy one. If the rumors hold true and the new iMac is like a pizza box that can be mounted to the wall I think I am going to be mad. The current iMac is just beautiful and I like it alot, I just want a freakin G5 but not a tower. Give me this cube at an affordable price.

23. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Wow that would be cool.

I translated the text to English:

24. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm guessing it's talking about the 17inch display.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just because it's cube-shaped doesn't mean it needs to be 100% convection-cooled like the G4 Cube. Most of the CPU upgrades for the G4 Cube include the installation of a fan at the base to improve airflow. If Apple avoids the cube form-factor from now on, which I think they will, it'll be to avoid the association with a failed product, and not because it can't be made to work.