Imac g5 disable Burning CD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mdetry, Nov 18, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I am buying 7 Imac 20" for a company and I need to disable the Burning of the CD-ROM for secrity reasons. Is this possible?

The CD/DVD should continue to read CDs and DVDs but should not be able to burn them?

Can this be made by software. Does anyone know how?

Thanks,

Marcos

2. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes, make a new account and go to "some limitations" then disable finder burning, and diable the program toast. THat should be easy....

3. macrumors 68000

Falleron

The above suggestion works great. You set what the user can do. I would greatly appeciate knowing if you found a way to do it systemwide so that it was not specific to the user.

Thanks

4. macrumors 68020

Chappers

Yeh take the plug off

Sorry

5. macrumors 6502a

replace the burner with a DVDrom. Disabling some software, it'll always be possible to put something else on instead which can burn.

BEN

6. macrumors G3

Counterfit

If the CDs & DVDs preference pane is one of the lockable ones (By which I mean it's only accessible to admins, which I think it is), you can set "When you insert a blank CD" and "When you insert a blank DVD" to "Ignore" and that might work. It would be best to use a combination of that and the user limitations through the account.

7. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Place duct tape over the CD slot. :D

In the users pane is the only way I know how to do it. Just disable all the programs that can burn and you are set. Takes a while though..