iMac G5 doesn't recognise BT keyboard (mouse ok)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CHAOS STEP, Aug 12, 2006.

1. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Ok,

Have a iMac G5 with built in BT.

I used it downstairs yesterday and took it back to the spare room where it usually is used.

Fired it up today and I find that the BT mouse is fine BUT it ignores the keyboard.

I tried;

Replacing batteries.

Checked that the suspect keyboard worked on my mac mini (it did).

Tried my other BT keyboard on the iMac same problem.

So, why does it recognise the mouse but not the keyboard?

I do not have a USB Keyboard, so now I cannot Log in to fix it!

I am guessing that the pairing has gone BUT surely it would simply see the keyboard as a new one and start setting it up.

Something is stopping keyboards working with BT, very strange - could a loose BT module cause this?

Or will I have to buy a USB Keyboard now to use my iMac? :(

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you have everything properly checked in teh Bluetooth preferences? (Does it show as a device?

If not you can manually pair it.

Sometimes holding the keyboard (as stupid as this sounds) close to the computer until it pairs helps, too.

3. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Thats the problem I can't even log in to check this because i can't log in -multiple user.

:(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know you've tried changing the batteries, but have you tried using more expensive (higher quality) batteries?

5. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I finally managed to Log in.

Basically I had to use a USB keyboard. - I don't own one as both my keyboards are Bluetooth, luckily my neighbour does :).

I logged in and reinstalled the keyboard on BT prefs.

It's strange how it totally 'lost' the original keyboard and also why it didnt recognise the KB as a new one when I tried to Log in.

I ran a full hardware test and it was all clear, but I did note that the hardware test does not check the Bluetooth module.

Never mind, moral of the story is, keep a spare USB keyboard in your loft just in case if you have a wireless set up.

I had a bad weekend really, in other news my I tried one too many hacks on my Mac Mini and bricked the harddrive. Result - all my previous HDD data was lost.

Moral of that story - well keep back ups or keep it standard!