iMac G5 - due for revision/replacement any time soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by monty77, Mar 4, 2005.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

1st time poster so be gentle please :)

I'm taking delivery of a Mac Mini this weekend (my first foray into the Mac world) and as long as OSX and I get along my PC will be sold along with Mini Mac and I intend to purchase an iMac G5 w/20" screen as my new main workstation.

...as someone who bought a 3G iPod days before the better/cheaper 4G was released I'm somewhat more wary about my purchases these days so wondered what the word on the grapevine was regarding iMac G5 replacement?

I've done some googling and it would seem that the iMacG5 has been out for a while now so a revision or even an update model could be on the cards. If it's months away then I really dont care too much but if it's only a few weeks then I'd be happy to keep the Mini for a while longer until a better iMac was available.

Many thanks!
    Adam

2. ncoffey macrumors regular

iMac updates could come next week or in several months. Anything else is just guesswork.

3. Benj macrumors regular

Try the Buyers Guide tab (top right). Reasonably accurate.

At the end of the day, any update is likely to be pretty minimal (unnoticeable even for most users).

If you have the Mini though, hold out. Max 2-3 months for an update (probably! ;) )

4. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

True...but there have been rumblings of changes to the iMac, hence my question.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=888

Thanks,
    Adam

5. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Well, all of Apple's computers seem to be having long update times right now- but this is an assumption based on the buyers guide, which isn't proving a very reliable indicator of when an update might come at the moment.

The recent Powerbook update was a long time coming. Powermacs too, are "overdue", eMacs :eek: - nearly 1 year without an update lol. It wouldn't surprise me if iMac and even iBook updates were quite a while off.

6. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice page, lots of info...

Guess the Mini can last me at least a couple of months, give me time to get used to OSX too.

...just keen to sell the PC ASAP if I'm going to become a full time Mac user with new hardware prices dropping so rapidly.

Thanks all!
    Adam

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I would sell your pc since the mini can do what you want and OSX should be easy to get along with, just think simple it's alot better than well I won't say the word.. :rolleyes: it took me about 2-3wks. after I bought my first Mac and haven't looked back. Enjoy :)

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I don't know about the original poster, but AFAIC a few more Ms isn't the point. I'm waiting for the rev B because I assume any problems from the original will have been sorted out. If not all, them most. Including maybe problems we didn't even know about that would be problematic down the road. In fact I'm not really sure if/what general problems are. Anyone care to summarize them? I think there are heat issues? Compared to the noisy G4s I don't think there are any major ones though?

9. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol - I'll know after the weekend - doesn't take long for me to know whether I like something, I have a strong feeling my PC will be going to a new home.

Adam

10. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. After a LOT of googling the only problems I've read about were noisy fans, and I think that was only on the 17" models - seem pretty solid.

Adam

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

MrSmith
    Some have had fan problems (too loud), superdrive troubles, midplane...
    But I think most of that has been worked out. For myself I'm waiting due to cash flow, just bought an iBook 2mths. ago. But no matter how long the wait will be I'll buy when I have the money since the iMac "to me" is a nice balance of power/price and as said many times if you need it buy it if not will the wait kill you? ;)

12. Benj macrumors regular

Mine is fine also. I suspect they sorted out the issues on the early models - they don't have to wait for a new revision for that sort of thing.

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Who really knows - probably waiting for the PM bumps. Otherwise, it may make some of the iMac's better than the low end PM.

14. aranhamo macrumors regular

Waiting for Rev. B too

I had the money in the bank and the wife and I decided to wait for an update so that we didn't get buyer's remorse when the updated models came out the day after we made our purchase.

However, the money was apparently burning a hole in her pocket because she went and redecorated the apartment and now it'll be a couple of months before we can save up enough for our new iMac again. So now it's easier to wait since I couldn't buy one today even if I wanted to.

15. The Black Rock macrumors regular

That's pretty lame. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was you. But then I'm assuming too much here, like whether or not the money was saved in tandem, whether or not it was done with my knowledge, etc.

Redecorating just seems pretty trivial.

/tired rant

16. gatorron macrumors regular

Put on the Pants, dude

Yeah, look, buy the d*mn thing, right now. Surprise her!

Credit cards make it so easy. Who cares anyway? According to a Baptist preacher I heard on the boob tube last week, the world will end anyday now. I figure that when that day arrives, all my credit cards should have the balance maxed out :eek:

17. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the Mini is here and I love it .. so pretty sure I'll be ditching the PC :D

Only dilema now is whether to just add some bits to the Mini (Superdrive, more RAM, 20" screen) or sell up in a few weeks and buy the iMac.

The problem I see with the iMac is that with the screen built in after 3 years it's going to be worth very little and I'll have to fork out again for a better screen with whatever is current at the time. I can see a 20" apple screen lasting me way beyond the time I'd keep an iMac.

Decisions decisions....
    Adam

18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, after 3 years with the iMac it will be a good second Mac to have and as far as the screen goes 3 years is a..should I say good run for a display that may get alot of use. After that you may want to upgrade that as well so total cost is now more than just the cost of a new iMac again :rolleyes:
    But thats just my thinking since when I get an iMac it won't be for heavy pro use but medium use in general :p

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I think an institute of some sort just bought HUGE pallets of iMac 2 weeks ago. I say this because the imacs are back at same day shipping, which would suggest that there was a brief shortage. ;)

20. aranhamo macrumors regular

The wife, credit cards and a new iMac

Well, ever since we got all our credit cards paid off, we cut them all up and only use cash anymore. I'd rather have my wife happy than a new iMac anyway. But it turns out I think we'll have enough money for a new iMac in a couple of weeks, so anytime Apple feels like coming out with a refreshed iMac line is fine with me...