Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riciad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My Rev. A iMac G5 has always been very quiet, but since I updated to 10.4.6 the noise from the fans is horrendous when running Classic. I just noticed this tonight as I only have one OS9 app and I very seldom use it but sometimes there is no alternative.

It's not a heat issue as iStat nano shows 127F for CPU and 125F for hard drive and it definitely didn't do it before the upgrade.

I suppose there's no fix for this and I'll just have to grin and bear it for another 6 hours or so til I'm finished this job?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In Activity Monitor, is there a process that's hanging or using up a lot of CPU/RAM resources? It might just be a problem inherent in Classic and 10.4.6, or maybe it might be a conflict with another app. It's worth a look. :)

riciad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Nope, tried it with no other apps running and only the usual processes showed up in Activity Monitor. I'm not too bothered about as it there's just the one app I use in Classic and thankfully don't need it too often.

Checked the temps and they're not going up at all when it's happening.

Definitely didn't occur before 10.4.6.

iYooper

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Ironwood
Same problem!

Downloaded and installed OS X 10.4.6 on my iMac G5 (s/n W8451) and the fans are a lot noisier. I've tried some of the solutions made on MacRumors (can't remember which ones--setting pram, etc.). That did no good. Sure is frustrating, ain't it? BTW, CPU temp 69 C, HD 51 C running Safari, Entourage, Word and Pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.