iMac G5 for gaming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Solafaa, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I will be getting a new iMac G5 to put beside my gaming PC desktop and i was wondring if i would be able to play some games on it. The only 2 games i play on a mac are WarCraft 3 and World Of WarCraft when it will be released in about 1 month. I have a PowerMac G5 which i can play games fine on but would the iMac be able to handle these to games?

Two questions:

1- If i get an iMac G5 (from ebay probebly) can i add RAM and a bigger harddrive?

2- When do you think the iMac with 64MB/128MB video card be available?
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    It should be able to play both of those games, no problem. If you are used to high end PC gaming, you may not be satisfied with its performance however. Yes, you can add more RAM and a bigger hard drive if you wish. No idea when upgraded graphics options will appear. Probably not until the next revision, whenever that is, should be a little while, IMO. However, the card it ships with already has 64 mb of ram.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I'm not a serious gamer but I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic on my 17" 1.8 GHz (768MB RAM) iMac and it runs perfectly. It is very easy to install additional RAM and Airport Extreme if you so desire, RAM upgrade is a must in my opinion.