iMac G5 freezes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by largebrandon, Jun 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2008
    I have an iMac G5 that keeps freezing on me. It occurs more so when I use iTunes. The computer freezes and even the mouse turns off. I have to completely turn off and on the computer to get it working again. Could anyone tell me what it is? Virus?
  2. macrumors 68000

Sep 27, 2004
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you tried running disk utility from an OSX install disc. You may need to do a repair on you HD. It also could be a virus but I would attempt a repair first to see if that helps.

If the repair doesn't fix the problem, try creating a new user. You may simply have a corrupted file in your user.

Hope this helps.
  3. macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2008
    u dont have to use your osx install disk u can simply just search it up in your finder if it lets u repair while using the system
  4. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2008
    I wouldn't call that a virus. It is most likely a hardware fault. I would look towards testing your harddrive / ram with the Applecare TechTool or something close.