Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordjmorris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Can anyone help me? :)

upon boot i get the grey apple screen. (im pressing command - s key)

to which the scren goes black and i get this

unresolved kernal trap (cpu 0) : 0x300 - data access DAR=0x0000000000000028 PC=0x00000000002FBCEC

any ideas?

if i dont press cmd - s , i get to the open firmware page "invalid memory access at"

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
bad memories.

sounds like bad ram. i'd open the back, remove both sticks and clean the edge connectors and blow out the slots. then, replace them in the opposite slots (switch 1 to 2, and 2 to 1) and see if you get the same thing.

trouble with 2 sticks is it could be either one, or just a dirty connection. let us know what happens. best of luck.

lordjmorris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
ok so i turned it on with one ram stick in. The light at the front came on and stayed on the fans were on etc but no screen. looking in the back leds 1 and 2 are on.

there is no chime or anything.

i tried the other stick , same thing happened.

i pressed the smu button with the second ram stick in , it booted to the grey apple screen and then to OF.

i got

"BAD DEPTH= 4 ff8ab051 ff8ab04c ff8ab040
here= ff971174
fc-addr=2666f8
invalid memory access at %SRR0 : 00000000.05610d04 %SRR1: 10000000.00003030

intresting? lol

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
It sounds like both of your sticks are bad.

I second that notion. The first thing that comes to mind, being as cheap as I am, is this:

See if you can pick up 2 cheap sticks of ram, no matter what the size - we're just trying to get it to boot at this point, not win multitasking contests. However, look for companies that offer a full 100% compensation return policy in case this is not the issue.

I really advise against thrown Macs in the garbage. Even though their resale value has dropped in these Intel days, they are all worth serving to someone, in any condition.

lordjmorris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
ok so put in two diffrent sticks of ram.

one being pc3200 samsung 512mb and the other pc2700 512mb

now i understand that the pc2700 is incompatible.

anyway i put them both in a voila! i installed leopard and it worked fine for a few hours lol

ive never got this far before.but in the about this mac it only showed up as 512 instead of 1gb

anyway i tried turning it back on and i got the corrupt stack error and it booted in OF as usual so i am assuming its the ram for sure.

if i use them individually the pc2700 gets 2 beeps and the pc3200 gets 3 beeps or it boots in OF. should i just buy the ram from pcworld 1gb pc3200 2.6v 400mhz ddr sdram OR buy it from macupgrades.co.uk?

Thanks for the replys

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Aren't you glad you troubleshooted the issue before you threw it out? :)

RAM failures are not unheard of thats for sure. I have had a few issues like this myself in the past. If nothing else these are learning experiences.

Glad you got it resolved!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
thanks for the reply , yes i am happy lol im assuming now its totally the ram.

Would this ram be ok?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/integral-pc-3200-ddr-400-dimm-ram-memory-module-1gb-07857713-pdt.html

or should i buy this one

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=87

i fear my caps are going to go wrong or something now , is this common in the imac g5 rev b?

go on the crucial site never got disappointed there
http://www.crucial.com/uk/?click=true

and yes the Bad caps are common in all G5 iMac's , ok apple only said the first generation, but they might have had to many of those bad caps in stock as even some last generation isight models got those bad caps fitted

but there is a company in Ashford that will replace them for you for the small amount of £170 incl vat and they give warranty on their work unlike others who dont , they throughoutly test the iMac before you get it back , a proper service that keeps your iMac G5 trouble free for the next years to come (no more worries about bad caps) and tops up the resale value too

thats important as some others who offer that service only replace those caps they can already see leaking and bulging but not all , others even fit bad caps from broken iMac's and sell them to you as new caps ..a english way of trying to secure future business i suppose...(i think in the building trade we call those ....cowboys)

a good recapped iMac G5 is still a really good computer and can even play 720p HD streamed videos , it runs leopard so will get updates too , and even if you got to invest those £170 , its still cheaper then a first generation intel iMac which might get stripes on their display (very common now at their age if they haven't got a new display under apple care )

Last edited:

lordjmorris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
well im going to pick some ram up tomorrow , the exact spec. im going to take it in store so they can test diffrent types. as soon as they put one stick of 512mb in how do i know if it works, i assume i will hear the chime and it will boot etc?

also how much is the resale value?

Thanks

lordjmorris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Also , the ram i had was samsung pc3200u 30331 - z , it meets the exact requirment yet doesnt work. how is it that this ram is dead?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the resale value depends on condition, in your case with non working ram, possible bad caps , maybe £50-max £100 on a good day if the outer case and display are in good working and in terms of case nice and shiny condition

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.