iMac G5 help!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by divefroggy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. divefroggy macrumors member

divefroggy

I've got an iMac G5 isight which I bought in Dec 05. A week after I bought it, the Intel based iMacs were launched!! Now, the question I wanna know is, When will Apple stop supporting the iMacs G5 in terms of universal softwares? Cos now all Macs have transitted to Intel Core 2 Duo Chip and I'm sure that software developers will somehow stop wrtting binary for PPC Macs rite?

Any advice or thoughts for those who are still using PPCs? Cos I love my iMac and I love OS X and I dun wish my Mac to be "extinct" in some ways. Get wat I mean? Hahah...:apple:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

going on that 10.4 supports G3/G4/G5 and Intel's i would think you have many more good years left in the G5 platform

3. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

thank you for your reply!! Now I'm a happy man.. Haha.. By the way, do you know how much difference does the Core 2 duo beats the PPC chip in terms of speed? Just a dumb question.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Depends what you're running. If it's Intel-native around 2-3x faster. If via Rosetta, slightly slower.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

depends what your are doing but i would say twice as quick :) but overall the system feels faster -

6. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Hmm. 2 x faster eh? Wow.. I wish I could wait just a little bit longer just to get the Intel based iMacs.. But WTH, I'm happy with what I have and it's fast!! I'm not going back to PCs again, ever!

7. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

I'm working mostly on Photoshop CS 2, With 1 GB (upgrading to 2GB soon)..

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I am typing this on a 2.1 Ghz G5 Imac - it feels plenty fast. I tried the demo Intel Imacs at the Apple store and they were NOT much different overall (snappiness and such). They may technically be faster, but you do not notice a mind-boggling speedup - at least I do not. G5 is still a very nice machine.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

cs 2 is running under rosseta on Intel so G5 win's on speed i think CS3 will be Intel native

10. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

I agree with what you said on G5. They're nice and fast machines to work with. But I do hope one day that the PPC chips back on Mac machines :)

11. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Oooh. Will G5 be able to run on CS 3?? :eek:

12. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i think so - it will be a for both PPC and Intel

13. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Cool!! i do hope they'll continue to write Universal programs for years to come..

14. Queso macrumors G4

Out of all the major developers, it looks like Adobe will be the first to ditch the PowerPC, but as they've already confirmed CS3 as being PPC-compatible your iMac will be fine for another three years or so yet.

15. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

That's good to know and sad to hear (Ditching PPC) :( . I thought they'll be amongst the last to do that kinda thing..

16. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

So as for OS X Leopard... Can G5 still get the most out of it or it's written only for Intel based macs? Till now 10.4 x is very stable and fast.

17. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Is there any way to change my Airport Express to 802.11n in my iMac G5?? Seems that this technology is gonna be the next hit for wireless..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

18. Queso macrumors G4

On that one you're out of luck. The Intel Macs use a new wireless chipset provided by Intel themselves, whereas the PowerPC ones use an older Broadcom chipset which isn't capable of 802.11n. Unless you buy a USB dongle or a wireless bridge device to plug into the Ethernet port, you're stuck on 802.11g.

19. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

I see.. then I've got no choice... Hahah.. Thanx!!

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My 2.0 GHz iMac feels really fast too, with the exception of iSquint conversions (which...well, would hardly be instantaneous on a quad-core. :( ). My iBook feels taxed sometimes/often, but my iMac feels great. :)

I think I'll wait a while. I'm definitely not really in the market for 802.11n yet. I have my iMac and TV talking already, so I don't need :apple:tv. Although you know that sooner or later the lust will overtake me and I'll need a new mac. :eek:

21. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Well... Same goes for me too. Dunno how longer will I hold up to temptations. The New iMacs looks very yummy!! With all the high end tech specs and all... Especially iPhone!! hahah

22. divefroggy thread starter macrumors member

divefroggy

Have another question.. Now for my iMac G3 system which I purchased after my G5. Just wanna make it as a music hub. How much RAM can I possible feed this old "beast" of mine? Now running on 384mb. It's a slot loading type, 350MHZ, running on 20GB HDD (upgrading to 120GB soon).

More suggestions the merrier... :)

:apple:

23. Queso macrumors G4

I think that's maximum 1GB. Two DIMM slots, each capable of taking 512MB.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All revisions, as far as I know, of the slot-loading G3 can handle 2x512 PC100 to get 1GB of memory.

See here.

25. Queso macrumors G4

And if you can't get hold of PC100, PC133 RAM will also work :)

(It's all coming flooding back)