imac G5 Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goosecoupe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. goosecoupe macrumors member

I'm a new mac user, and I'm using a hand down iMac G5. It has a bunch of programs on it but I don't know how to uninstall them!

Is there anything like the Add or Remove Programs on PC's?!?! or is there a simpler way of uninstalling programs?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Drag them to the trash and delete. This is the method for deleting 80% of programs on Mac.

For the other 20% you can get an uninstaller like AppZapper (really nice) which finds all files associated with that program and trashes them together.

But seriously, most programs can just be trashed right out and forgotten. Welcome to Mac, where life becomes a little bit easier.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Drag Application folder to Trash
    Empty Trash

Voila, uninstalled. There is no Windows Registry to clean out.

If you want to be thorough about it, you can check the various Library folders in
    1) the root level of the hard drive,
    2) your User folder, and
    3) the System, and look for Application Support files and Preference (.plist) files that correspond to the programs you trashed.

If you open System Preferences, go into Users, you can check what items are set to automatically start on boot up, and delete only those that belong to the programs you trashed.

4. goosecoupe thread starter macrumors member