imac g5 hot hot cd's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by imacuser, Aug 26, 2005.

1. imacuser macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2005
    Haven't used cds/dvds too much but when I do they're really hot when they're ejected. This happens after just playing one cd, say around 8 songs. It doesn't seem like this should be normal and I'm just wondering about contacting support. Anyone else have hot cds?
    Also - the internal drive has been beeping when I put in a cd - random short beeps.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    The random short beeps are normal... if they're soft... I hear 'em all the time.

Could you give a measure of how hot the CDs are? It's perfectly normal for a CD to be slightly warm in a slot-load drive, especially in a confined space like the iMac. If it's hot like paper coming out of a Xerox machine, then maybe you have an issue.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Also, they'll be pretty warm if the iMac is working hard whilst they're in there, obviously. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but quantify how hot they get first. :)
  4. Moonboots macrumors newbie

May 14, 2005
    Lyon , France
    Yes , they're pretty hot when they exit :)
    I wonder if that's why certain CDs are complete ba****rds and refuse to exit straight away ? After i've swiched off the imac and alllowed it to cool , they exit during " bootup "