iMac G5, iMovie 4, iDVD 4 Review

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jovian9, Oct 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I recently sold my iMac G4 (17" 1GHz 768MB RAM 80GB SuperDrive) and purchased an iMac G5 (17" 1.8GHz 512MB RAM 250GB SuperDrive).
    When I upgraded to iLife '04 (on my G4 iMac) I quickly learned that I still needed iDVD 3 in order to be able to use iDVD the way I wanted to. With my G4 iMac, anything encoded with Best Quality (to get over 1 hour on the DVD) would take so long (I'm talking cancelling the process after 10 hours or so) that I had to quit the process and was never able to burn a DVD over an hour. So I installed iDVD 3 back on there so that I could burn simple DVD's (I always burn more than an hour per disk).
    I did my first test with the iMac G5 last night (Everything is up to date via the software update):
    iDVD 4.0.1
    iMovie 4.0.1
    Best Quality
    DVD Capacity 3.5GB out of 4GB
    Motion Menus 12 minutes
    Tracks 15
    Menus 4
    Slideshows 1 (7 1/2 minutes)
    Credits 3 seperate iMovie credits of 2 1/2 minutes each
    There is a little less than 90 minutes of movies on here + the 12 minutes of motion menus. All menus and movies have a song from iTunes to accompany it.

After finishing my iDVD project I saved it. I then proceeded to click burn (with much worry as I was never able to complete this on my iMac G4). The entire process from clicking burn to encoding to finishing the burn took less than 3 finish! That's a SUPER improvement over the iMac G4 that I had. All rendering in iMovie seemed a lot snappier also and the exporting in Full DV Quality out of iMovie was definitely faster.
    Just thought I'd pass along my iLife '04/iMac G5 observations thus far.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    That's great news. Glad to hear it. Congratulations on your new machine and good luck with those movies!

Best wishes,
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    That is good news. It takes me at least as long on my PM to do that process as it did you on your iMac G4. I am glad to see that the G5 improves things considerably on your new machine. Enjoy :)
  4. macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    I'm glad to hear that. I was playing around with an iMac G5 at my school's bookstore yesterday and it struck me as deathly slow (by that I mean nearly the same speed as my Powerbook). Really all I could do to test it was use Garageband...why do iMacs only ship with 256 RAM? That's hardly enough to power iLife...but a great looking machine nonetheless.