iMac G5 improvement?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iMAC G5dreamer, Mar 28, 2005.

1. iMAC G5dreamer macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    hey guys i know the video card of the iMac G5 is built-in and stuck to the motherboard but i was thinking if anybofy has tried to remove it and install a new 128 mb card.Is there any service provider that can do the updates or something .Any part that can be updated that u know of?i'd try to remove it myself but it is pretty dangerous.what do u guys think?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    It's not a card. It's a group of chips surface mounted onto the main logic board. To remove the GPU and all it's supporting RAM chips and solder new ones in would be more or less impossible. You might as well try and remove the GPU from a normal graphics card and solder a new one onto the same PCB.

Note that even if it was possible the two GPU chips would have to be pin compatible which basically does not happen.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You are heading down a deep dark tunnel with this line of foolishness.

And all we can do is give you a nudge, so you hit the bullseye. ;)
  4. iMAC G5dreamer thread starter macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    yea,no way im doing this,i thought that maybe it could have been replaced just by doing simple tasks but i have read the structure of it,and well obviously ,NO WAY,unless u want to screw the computer
  5. eug_ch_cheng macrumors newbie

May 29, 2005
    I have a Rev A 20" that needs a new logicboard (i suspect, since i've been getting pinstripes/static and kernel panics and startups as well as pixel dancing in OS X). What are the chances they will replace it with the Rev B logicboard (128 mb graphics)? If they do, maybe this problem i have is a good one indeed.