iMac G5 in Stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Punani, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Although it is clear from the forums that Apple's shipping is atrocious. I was wondering when one could expect Apple to begin shipping iMac G5s to Apple Stores and 3rd party retailers.

I want to see my iMac in my hands when I see my money going to Apple! :D

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Generally Apple Stores and resellers will not get the new merchandise until after they are already shipping to customers. When the AirPort Express was released, it took a week for my local Apple Store to get them in.

3. mms macrumors 6502a

There'll probably be a lot more demand for the iMac than for the Airport Express, so I would count on there being more delay than that. It would depend on how well IBM is going to be able to cope with the increased demand for G5 processors. Judging by their show of incompetance in keeping up with demand so far, an extended delay is forseeable.

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Many are expecting the iMac G5 in Apple stores in the middle of September, but I'm not sure if a date has been set.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...You will probably see the new iMac in stores within a week or two of them starting to ship out to pre-orders. Apple also takes orders from their retailers so they will be in the queue as well. Also, with the iMac being the flagship "consumer" computer they will want some out there where they are visible to the walk-in customer so they can generate more sales from potential switchers or new computer buyers....I know it frustrates some of those pre-order people to see someone walk in and buy one before theirs has shipped (as has happened with some dual 2.5 G5 orders) but it is a very delicate balance to keep all streams of the different order channels happy..and as I said it is even more important for the consumer models to be very visible....oh yeah!