iMac G5 is here!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pcpacker, Nov 8, 2004.

1. pcpacker macrumors member

I got my 20" iMac G5 today and I love it. It is totally quiet. I haven't heard the fans come on at all (is that a good thing? :) )

This is my first apple product, so I am learning all new things. I am, however, typing on it right now, so I must be doing okay.

I have had one glitch, however. I downloaded a pdf of my most recent bank statement, and all 4 pages are blank. I can't see a thing, but the pdf viewer is acting like there should be something there. Any advice?

This screen is bright and beautiful.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hi there! Welcome to Mac, and congratulations on your great new machine. :)

Don't worry if the fans don't come on. They only do so when the machine is really being taxed (like heavy processing or use of the hard drive). I'm sure there's just been no need yet.

I don't know what to tell you about that pdf. I had it happen once to me - the pdf was of my LSAT test score. I called the people at LSAC and the woman was confused for a few minutes because she said that she could see the data in the pdf just fine... then all of a sudden, she said - "wait, are you working on a macintosh?" And when I said yes, she said that explained it; it was a known issue! I must say, I don't really understand how that it possible because I thought the whole point of pdf was that it is a universal format, but apparently it can happen and it's not an error with your computer.

Btw, the work-around I found was: open it with Photoshop and re-save it as a new document. Then I could see all the data; no idea why!

Again, congrats and good luck!

3. panda macrumors regular

welcome + advice

congrats on your new imac and welcome to Mac. i hope you are forever happy.

good choice.

your pdf problem may have to do with the application. using viewer doesn't always seem to open all pdf files. my suggestion is to use adobe acrobat reader. if it is already on your computer, open it and then choose to open your pdf file from acrobat's menu.

if you do not have acrobat, you can download it for free from the net.

hope this helps.

welcome again and good luck :)

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Hey welcome to the mac world, i also got my iMac G5 (yesterday) and i love it very much. If you have any questions about the mac this is the best place to get the answers, just use the right forum hardware for hardware software for software and so on.

Good luck with it.

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have never had problems with Apple's Preview program (pdf's). However, I suggest you give Adobe Acrobat Reader a whirl.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

screen quality of 20" imac?

hi,

yesterdat i checked the screen of a 20" imac at the apple store and compared it to the 20" cinema display. i couldn't see a difference. at lower resolution i felt even that the imacs screen was sharper. i like to work at lower resolution because its less tiring to look at small fonts. i also couldn't hear the 20" imac at all.

was that a very good imac or is the imac in general quiet (ecept of the ones with the fan issue) and is the screen in general as good as the cinema display? in that case I would be up for a 20" model soon.

andy

7. atomiton macrumors regular

From everything I have read, the 20" display is superior to the 17" and is the same as the cinema display.