iMac G5 (iSight) Hard Drive upgrade? also: macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whenpaulsparks, Jun 17, 2006.

1. whenpaulsparks macrumors regular

Hello all, i'm an experienced mac user that is trying to determine if something is possible before prying open it's lovely case :) i'm also experienced with computer hardware.

i have a 20" iMac G5 with isight, and i was wondering if anyone else has upgraded the hard drive on it. mine currently is a 250 GB drive, and i want to put a 500 GB in it. i know that it is serial ATA, and i've seen the disassembly pics but they aren't very high quality.

1. does it use a normal serial ATA drive?
    2. does it use normal power and data connectors, i.e. would i need to buy anything else?
    3. does it use a certain drive height to fit in the case, i.e. would a 500 GB drive fit?

i know that i could use a firewire or usb 2.0 drive, and i have a 250 GB external one, but the speeds aren't fast enough for me. oh how i wish it had an eSATA connector!

also, i have a black macbook. i upgraded the memory to 2 GB right after i got it (the 2 GB upgrade from apple is something ridiculous like $450, and i got two 1GB DDR2-667 sticks for it from compusa for $240 shipped, and it came in 2 days... the memory upgrade is worth it since the graphics use the system RAM!). but i also know very little about serial ATA notebook drives, since i think they are relatively new. do they all use the same connector? also, is there a 160 GB drive on the market? i keep looking for them, and i hear they exist, but i can't find any.

thanks for any help.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My advice for prying open the Rev. C and beyond iMacs is, DON'T. The only really easily user upgradeable iMac was the Rev. A/B iMac G5. You could do the RAM, hard drive, and optical drive with just a screw driver and the instructions.