Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Hi. I am having a problem with an rev. A iMac G5. It keeps shutting down with no warning. The troubles started with an error message stating that the to much power was being pulled from the USB ports when nothing was plugged in. A restart would eliminate the problem for a few hours. In the past few days it has started shutting down with no warning. I am aware of the problems some early iMac G5s had with a bad batch of capacitors. In fact this computer falls into the range of effected models that qualify for free repair if they go bad. It seems though that if that was the case i would have had some problems with the display flickering, which I haven't. I have a sneaky suspicion that it may be a bad power supply. I am going to bring it to the apple store and have it checked out but I was wondering if anyone has been down this road before?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Power supply problems were something in addition to bad capacitors that are covered. A professor here had the same power problems on his Rev. A and had to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.