iMac G5 memory options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Alter Ego, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Alter Ego macrumors newbie

May 11, 2005
    I want to buy an iMac G5 with 1GB memory. The Apple Store lists two choices:
    - 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
    - 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    Which one is better? The 1 DIMM is more expensive; does that mean it is the better choice?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The best option is to buy the Mac from Apple with the minimum RAM and install your own. Get the iMac with a single 512 Mb module, then buy a 1 Gb module from a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with the iMac G5 and offers a lifetime warranty. You'll end up with 1.5 Gb for a reasonable price. The RAM installation in the iMac is a doddle.

If you must order from Apple, get the single 1 Gb module, so you have an empty socket remaining allowing you to update it later without pitching one of the 512 modules you paid for...
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I bought a 1 GB stick off of for $129. I was hoping that I would get a Samsung stick and I did. It also has the same timing as the stock stick. They get along quite nicely for 1.5 GB of total RAM. It's awkward but I'm happy that it worked out. You can try as well. My company has bought almost a dozen of sticks from them. Their service and quality is great.
  4. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I agree with CanadaRAM. Get standard 512 stick and then add another gig when you get iMac