imac G5 monitor issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by monalisaa, Oct 2, 2005.

1. monalisaa macrumors newbie

Hey there,

This is my first post here and I thought you guys might have a good idea as to what's going on with my computer/monitor. When starting up my computer the monitor is going, well...crazy! It gets almost fuzzy like it's about to go out. I'm afraid of what might happen since all of the goodies i.e. hardrive are in there. Has anyone else had this problem? I restart again and then it works fine. I've heard of the overheating issue with this model of iMac and am wondering if possibly it could be headed down that road! Hope not!

Please help!
    Monalisaa :(

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yo!

Sounds like yours might qualify for this program.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, I have a 2G iMac and it has been flawless (so far).

4. carpe diem macrumors 6502

My friend has the same problem with his PSP screen, it seems weird.

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

bring it in for service. the exact same thing happened to me last month. they replaced my logic board. I have more details floating around in a thread I started at the time...

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All i can say is if you bought a Imac G5 you better have bought some Applecare. Imac G5 has the poorest record of any Mac since the ibook fiasco and gives me very little confidence that these will be reliable machines down the road. Imac G5 owners a ounce of insurance is worth a pound of cure. How long will it be before Apple admits a problem with this one?

7. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

On my Rev. A, the issues came on quite suddenly. January '05 through mid-August '05, it was absolutely flawless. Then one day our of the blue it started acting up.

I had not bought apple care when I originally bought my iMac, but since seeing the $800+ tab I would've had to pay if I wasn't under warranty, I have since decided to make the investment in apple care...

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Oh - One tip for people with this issue - If you have purchased any music through the iTMS, make sure you deauthorize your computer before you bring it in for service.

No one told me this and now when I buy a song it downloads and ties to my old logic board, then when I click on it to play it, it says I need to authorize this machine. So now my iMac is taking up 2 of my 5 authorizations.

I tried to deauthorize my computer now, but it only deauthorizes the new logic board, not the old. I need to deuath all machines to correct the problem, but you can't do that unless you are using all 5 auths. I not currently using all 5 auths, so it doesn't matter that much. It is annoying though...

9. SmegFirk macrumors newbie

I'll put this in here rather than make another imac screen thread...

I've had my imac for 2 weeks now and am dubious about the screen's resistance to burn in. If any one with a G5 imac can just move their hand drive icon and look at the desktop underneath, do you see a slight residual image?

I am a new mac user who decided that if I was going to switch i might as well do it properly, rather than get a mini. The pc i switched from has used an lcd monitor everyday for 2 years and there are no burn in issues. The windows taskbar was always static at the bottom of the screen.

I have just moved my dock from the bottom to the left and there is a dark line where the top edge of the dock was. The crazy thing is that if I take a screenshot the fault isn't there, so it isn't a rendered error. It's definitely a burn. :(

10. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

That's odd. I didn't think LCDs could be burnt. My iMac G5 is not showing any such symptoms. Nor did my previous iMac G4.

11. SmegFirk macrumors newbie

Exactly. I've wiped the screen in case it was a physical mark, but that was out of hope rather than expectation.

Does the imac have a protective film/cover when shipping? I never removed any such 'film' if there is one. There was only a sticky film on the stand. I'm a little bemused, there must be a simple explanation.

12. SmegFirk macrumors newbie

It's definitely burned in :mad:

It's under 3 weeks old, can I get my money back or do I have to go down the repair route?